Bathroom tap leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bathroom tap is leaking where the tap fits onto the washbasin. Could this be repairable or is it a new tap? It's an Ideal Standard single mixer (and is the best tap I've ever had ):cry:

I stupidly took the photo after I'd dried it up, but it's round the base that I have puddles

1653933131243.png

Sponsored Links
taps are often repairable. A pic of the whole unit and where the dribble is coming from would tell a fuller story but its possible it just needs a new cartridge. Although mixer tap cartridges are pricier but still not as much as a full tap plus labour to refit.

Turn the water off and undertake some detective work to figure out how to remove/strip down the lever of the tap to expose the cartridge and you will see the replaceable unit and you’ll be able to buy online. It’s a very diy friendly job. Although changing a tap is also diyable.

Sorry for the delay. Pic of tap attached.
The water seems to be oozing out of the base at the back. I dry it up and it just starts oozing out again immediately

Attachments

• 1654199643227.png
    1654199643227.png
    539.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 1654199709052.png
    1654199709052.png
    157.1 KB · Views: 66
Sponsored Links
Looks like it’s the middle where it’s leaking from on one photo, in which case a new cartridge should solve your issue. Email photo to Ideal Standard, if you’re unsure of the model.

I don't think it can be, as if it was, surely the water would eventually drip onto the floor? I'll double check though. It could actually just be when I've had the tap on (never thought of that)

Reactions: CBW
I dried it last night and checked this morning, and there was the same little puddle and I hadn't used the tap. It's not like it's pouring out, it's just seeping. Gonna have to get under the sink I think and get the tap off.

I do wonder if I'd be as well just replacing it - it's about 14 years old, but it's getting a good quality tap without having to sell body parts. My kitchen tap is absolute crap and doesn't mix in the slightest.

Yeah, we can repair taps easily. We can fix a leaky tap using some tools like a flathead screwdriver or Philips. Try to replace your washer. In most cases, we can solve our leaking tap issues through the washer replacement. I think you can solve it without professional support. If you can't solve the leaking tap problem, you may contact a plumber near your area.

Yeah, we can repair taps easily. We can fix a leaky tap using some tools like a flathead screwdriver or Philips. Try to replace your washer. In most cases, we can solve our leaking tap issues through the washer replacement. I think you can solve it without professional support. If you can't solve the leaking tap problem, you may contact a plumber near your area.

Erm, I don't think that the OP is gonna use a plumber in Canada...

Looking at the build up of limescale under the lever, yeah, I think you need a new cartridge.

Waiting on a new tap coming into Toolstation. I thought that was the chrome coming off - I think I need specs lol

Of course, once I got in at the back of the cupboard, I discovered there's no isolation valves - not sure why I expected them cos the guy that did the bathroom originally hasn't put them anywhere.

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back