Bathroom Taps and grit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved to a house which is a bit of a wreck (because of the building work I'm having done.) However the one room of the house that was nicely done was the bathroom. The problem I'm having is despite my best effort of stopping dust getting in there, the mixer taps it feels gritty when operating the tap (it was fine when I moved in). It is one of these Crosswater taps. Is the tap a write off, are they easy to clean out if small debris gets in?

Sponsored Links
it looks like it will have screw-in brass cartridges under the knobs/levers. You could take it apart and wash out all the bits in water. Maybe there is sand on the spindle or something.

Obviously fill your bucket before you turn off the water to take the tap apart.

You can usually buy replacement cartidges for a few pounds if the washout doesn't cure it.

Thanks JohnD,

I will give it a go and thanks for the "Bucket" tip. :LOL:

You should be able to just replace the inners of the tap, Crosswater make good gear, have used them myself on many installs. Their tech guys are always really helpful. Give them a call

Sponsored Links
GazDaz is bang on, most modern tap use what is called a ceramic cartridge, this consist of two ceramic plates that run against each other. If you get grit between these two plates then the tap would feel rough to operate. Crosswater themselves should be able to supply replacements cartridges, give them a call. You'll need to Google the number.

If you get grit between these two plates then the tap would feel rough to operate.
Grit can also cause the discs to shatter in extreme cases.

I've not actually heard of that before. Another great reason to make sure the job is done to industry standards and have an isolator valve fitted to each tap and shower in-flow. Another top tip, make sure you use a full bore isolator to ensure you get the best possible flow. Standard isolators can restrict flow, taking the power out of your shower!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back