Bathroom values

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, this might not be the correct forum, so please feel to move.

Secondly, I am not asking for prices, so don't shout!

We are looking at getting our whole bathroom redone, new fitted furniture, suite, shower, tiles, radiator, the works. We are in the process of getting some quotes so we can weigh up our options.

The first quote we got back was 6k (ouch), which we can't afford at the moment, so we are getting other quotes and considering our options.

The question I have is this - you always see on the property programs that a good bathroom can add X% to the value of your property. Is there a recognised figure for X so I can match the costs to the benifits?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Yes...formula as follows X = however much the purchaser places on the value of X.

So, if Y = House and X = bathroom then Y = X + Percieved value of (Y-X)/100

Hope this helps.

Funnily enough... page 5 of today's Telegraph:

"Falling house prices would make the cost of improvements greater than the increase in the value of the property..."

Article basically says that, at present, you lose on everything you do with one exception - cosmetic changes such as decorating.

Always nice to see some people on here are more helpful than others ;)

Thanks for the info, thought that might be the case with the current market. We'll just have to weigh up the most cost effective options for us, but as the bathroom is now fighting back (shards of metal coming off the old taps and embedding in the skin) we need to get something done soon.

Sponsored Links
6k probably includes 5k danger money for the removal of the taps that inject you with shrapnel :D

The extra value is usually the price of the bathroom paid plus fact that you do not have to live through all the dust and mess etc so what ever value you place on that is very personal.

Pete

Not difficult to blow 6K on a bathroom with quality fittings and tiles. It doesn't even have to be big... But it will be nice

Too many folk still regard their homes as a money making venture and will still have a cheap job done to try and maximise profits... I think that the OP is typical of this... Another way of looking at it is if you are gonna have to live in the house, then you may as well make it a living space that you like to live in.. this way you would not have the feeling that you need to move, usually to another house where the bathroom has just been tarted up cheaply and will fall apart in six months

Oh no, I'm not after maximising profit or anything like that, I don't see us moving for a good ten years, it was just one of the things I thought to think about while weighing up the quotes we are getting!

In reply to spacethegas, it's basically the entire bathroom as I stated originally. We don't want to go to a shed and get the "cheap" fitted furnaiture, baths, etc, but then again we don't want to get ripped off.

I didn't come on here to try and get an answer to how much it *should* cost, I was just after opinions on various factors so I can make an informed descision.

We are of course faced with another option, sourcing the materials ourselves and then employing a fitter to do the work.

I spend 8k on my bathroom. Easily done if you have expensive tastes.
Most of it was spent on fixtures, not to mention the £1700 shower cubicle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back