Toilet in or out?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

We are going to have my bathroom redone in a few month times. At the moment the bath, sink, shower and toilet are all in the same room. Next to it is the airing cabinet which we are going to move into the attic. We then have two options:

We move the toilet out of the bathroom and fit in the space where the airing cabinet is.
Or we take the wall down between the bathroom and the airing cabinet to make a bigger space and therefore keep all the facilities inside the same room.

I find the first option a lot more practical, but we have been told by our plumber that it would decrease the value of the house as people would prefer the second option in general. Note that there is no downstairs toilets.

So what do your guys think?

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo seb sub and welcome

the best option for selling is all in one

would that suit you curcumstances though if you have a problem getting in the toilet due to the morning or evening rush unless you plan on moving soon do what fits your circumstances
you could knock into one then put a stud wall up without any services in or on it and knock it down if your moving

SebSub said:
Note that there is no downstairs toilets.
If you can have a toilet downstairs and in most cases under the staircases which is possible then doesn't matter what you do upstairs bathroom and this would also add value to your house.

Thanks Big-All and Masona. Masona would you agree with Big-All if I can't or won't have a downstairs toilet?

Sponsored Links
In the 1930s people preferred a separate toilet room as it was seen as more hygienic (yeh right, touching door handles hither and thither between wiping your bum and washing your hands is hygienic!)

If I were looking at a house, I would think the toilet in an airing cupboard solution as a bit "odd", and would prefer the toilet to be in the same room as the sink, bath etc. Remember that people generally knock the two together given the choice. I am yet to hear of someone deliberately moving the toilet OUT of the bathroom!

Plus there is an added benefit of having all in one room: you can go and have a really big dump but turn the shower on and tell people that was what you were doing all that time. Obviously this only works if you actually have a shower whilst you are in there too! :LOL:

One thing that could be an issue is that with toilets and kitchens, you can separate the two with just one door ONLY if you have a sink in the room with toilet. Otherwise you need two doors. So if your staircase goes down into an open-plan downstairs with kitchen there, you could have problems there.

Depends on the design of house though, I have seen some small houses where it would be a problem.

SebSub said:
Thanks Big-All and Masona. Masona would you agree with Big-All if I can't or won't have a downstairs toilet?
Sorry, what I meant was to have a extra toilet as well, as AdamW pointed the problem with toilet under staircase. I would rather have a toilet on it own if it's the only toilet in the property.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back