Bathroom ventilation

Loads wrong with this.It is the condensing water vapour that is casing the drip and staining. Firstly you need to fit a condensation trap near to the bottom but allow enough of a fall so the condensate can be piped to the eaves or some other way out of the building. Flexible pipe should be avoided as the weight of water makes it sag and this in turn allows more water to accumulate. Once you have fitted the condensate trap then you should insulate the pipe. This reduces the volume of water considerably. Finally make sure the fan is on overrun so that it is continuing to run for some time, 5 mins or so, after the lights are off. This encourages evaporation of residue in the pipework.

Sponsored Links
Given the state of the housing market here in Ireland, I would be astonished if he was till in business/wanted to know. There is a homebond guarantee on the house, but the cover major faults only.

Hi all,

Just to say thanks and post pictures of the almost complete job below. Since these were taken; I sealed all of the remaining joints and made the flexible ducting more taut (so there is no dip). I bought and used the condensation trap and insulation, as you all recommended.

The bad news is that the ceiling at the extractor fan is in a shocking state, I used heavy duty pasterboard anchors to put up the fan but the pasterboard needs to be replaced because there is a bump in it from the weight of the sewer pipe. It will last a few months though, my wife is due our first child on Wednesday so I wanted to have this bathroom back in working order before that happened!.

Thanks again to all,

Ray Kinsella

4280858265_64c97ee059.jpg

4280857363_38037384ca.jpg

4281600062_16555c973a.jpg

4281599198_cee6718a63.jpg

Sponsored Links
You are still likely to get condensation build up, although now it will be in the white flexi pipe, and you'll be back to square one. It will appear ok until there is enough build up to fill the dip, then dripping and staining will come back.

Hi,

I have made the flexible pipe much more taut (straight) than is shown in the photos, so there is no sag now. Theory is that if it does condense in the flexible pipe it should just run back down into the trap now .... ? or am I wrong?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back