Bathroom Ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope this is the right section!

We don't have a vent in the bathroom at the moment. We need one!

I'm competent with electrics and fairly handy with basic DIY tasks. I think I should be able to wire the fan into the light. The thing putting me off is:

1) Cutting into the ceiling, if I cock it up I may ruin the pattern of the artex. I doubt I will, but this is one thing.

2) Venting into the loft. Is this okay and will I need to locate the ducting anywhere near an air brick? Our loft is a reasonable size and has an air brick either end of the space.

A further concern in ducting to the loft is that condensation may sit in the ducting and run back down into the bathroom.

Your thoughts would be great before I just go ahead and do it.

Thanks.

James.

Sponsored Links
venting into the loft = bad idea (dont even think of it)

run the ducting to outside,, ours goes from the fan strait to the sofit

as for cutting the hole, go into the loft to check where the joists are, as you dont want one in the way of your hole

keep ducting short as possible

wiring diagram in electrics stick setcion

and are you aware of part p (see as just mentioned)

you can, as an alternative, vent through the roof using a suitable tile vent terminal.

...though some people (like me) think that the fewer holes you make in your roof, the less likely it is to leak :cry:

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
...though some people (like me) think that the fewer holes you make in your roof, the less likely it is to leak :cry:

a pre fabricated vent tile terminal, coupled with the plastic diverter (fitted below the tile to the batten and felt), is a very efficient and reliable way to make a passage through the roof tiles.

you can, as an alternative, vent through the roof using a suitable tile vent terminal.
I need to get this done at some stage as venting to soffit isn't an option at my house. Got any links to look at? Who makes these things. Many thanks.

breezer said:
venting into the loft = bad idea (dont even think of it)

run the ducting to outside,, ours goes from the fan strait to the sofit

as for cutting the hole, go into the loft to check where the joists are, as you dont want one in the way of your hole

keep ducting short as possible

wiring diagram in electrics stick setcion

and are you aware of part p (see as just mentioned)

That's answered the first question then, lol.

The next question is whether I have the balls to knock through the way and brick to vent outside... :oops: How hard is that to do? (baited breath time!) Is this something I should really be paying someone to do?

Aware of part p? No, I'll have to look that up in the electrics section then!

Thanks

James.

If you want a hole in a brick wall, don't knock it, hire a 105mm core drill and be amazed how easy it is.

JohnD said:
If you want a hole in a brick wall, don't knock it, hire a 105mm core drill and be amazed how easy it is.

Does that also apply to a situation whereby the facing brick is engineering grade (e.g. Accrington)? In the past I have simply "stitch drilled" for any vents and then relied on the outer trim to hide any rough edges. Never having used a core drill I don't have any experience of how good they are (or not?).

I haven't done any engineering bricks, but I've used then on soft bricks and dense concrete blocks. they give a nice clean hole much easier than stitching or chiselling. There is far less making good to do and no cracks caused by hammer and chisel. Drill from the show side.

I suppose they might go blunt sooner on some materials, but as you can hire them it's not much of a problem.

They usually have TCT teeth. Some smaller sizes are made with diamond grit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back