Bathroom wall lights and two gang switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, as above I have fitted two bathroom wall lights on the same feed as the main bathroom light - I would like to be able to control these independently via a two gang switch.

Am I right in thinking that i will have to run a new feed from the lights to a new two gang switch - If so would anyone be able to post a diagram of the correct wiring up required for the new two gang switch?

I will of course have the work inspected by a qualified person.

Many thanks, Will.

Sponsored Links
If you have wired your two new lights to the existing ceiling light then you will onlyneed another wire from the ceiling light to the switch position.

If there is a loft above you may be lucky and find conduit down to the switch.

If you have wired your two new lights to the existing ceiling light then you will onlyneed another wire from the ceiling light to the switch position.

If there is a loft above you may be lucky and find conduit down to the switch.

Hi and thanks for the response, I was wondering if that would be the case. The loft is directly above the bathroom and the switch is wall mounted just outside the bathroom.

I was wondering if I could just take a feed from the new switch directly to the wall lights -would that be possible?

Well, you could but there is no need if you have already connected to the present light.

I can't see how that would be easier.

Sponsored Links
Well, you could but there is no need if you have already connected to the present light.

I can't see how that would be easier.

The feed from the main light was already on the wall - it used to power a previous mirror light. I just tapped into it, I didn't create a new feed.

The existing light switch is only about a metre away from the wall lights so if possible it would be easier to connect directly into that.

Thanks, Will.

You're getting into all sorts of complications:

How have you installed the cables from the now vacant mirror position?

Work within these zones is notifiable to the Local Authority -
//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:bathroom_zones

Concealed cables must only be installed in these zones -
//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:walls

They will require RCD protection.

Thanks for your response - it is greatly appreciated.

I have removed the plaster from the wall, recessed the brick work and connected the new lights to the existing feed with a block connector, I will cover this with trunking / conduit before I re-plaster.

Would this still be notifiable if I used a NICEIC or equivalent Electrician?

I have removed the plaster from the wall, recessed the brick work and connected the new lights to the existing feed with a block connector, I will cover this with trunking / conduit before I re-plaster.
No - non maintenance-free joints must remain accessible.

Plus will the newly buried cable(s) be in the correct zone(s), and RCD protected?

Yes, but they do it after the event for a nominal sum - it will all be included.

No - non maintenance-free joints must remain accessible.

Plus will the newly buried cable(s) be in the correct zone(s), and RCD protected?

Yes, but they do it after the event for a nominal sum - it will all be included.

Hi, thanks for the links - the works are outside of zone two and the consumer unit is RCD protected.

I found this diagram detailing how to wire wall lights up and have followed the instructions but the wall lights will only switch on and off if I have the main light on.

Is there any way I can make the wall lights work independently of the main light or am I snookered because I am relying on the feed from the main light to power the wall lights?

Thanks for your input so far, it is much appreciated,

Will.

Hi, thanks for the links - the works are outside of zone two
It wasn't bathroom zones I meant - it was the ones for buried cables.

and the consumer unit is RCD protected.
All circuits?

I found this diagram detailing how to wire wall lights up and have followed the instructions but the wall lights will only switch on and off if I have the main light on.
Then you can't have followed the instructions - you've taken the supply for the wall lights from the switched live at the main light, not the permanent live. I can't read the diagram, it's far too small, but I don't suppose it told you to do that.

Is there any way I can make the wall lights work independently of the main light
Yes, take a permanent live to the wall light switch, not the switched live from the ceiling light.

I really think you should learn more about the things you want to fiddle with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back