Bathroom window stuck - leaking below

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Double glazing window in the bathroom is stuck shut. Tried changing the handle/spindle but that isn't the issue. Seems as though it's the internal mechanism as the spindle turns but doesn't seem to "grab" the locking mechanism to open.

Now the issue is that whenever the shower is going because of the condensation not being able to escape getting leaks through the kitchen ceiling just near the window which is directly below the bathroom. Gettin progressively worse each day.

I presume this is directly related, as never recall any leakages in the kitchen prior to the window not being able to open?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the gearbox has gone.

1st question is the window still under guarantee?
Also I assume its a PVC window?

Yeah PVC window.

We actually rent, just my landlord is useless and has been slow gettin back to us about it so was just tryinga find out the problem and the solution myself and take that back to him as it might be quicker!

There doesn't seem to be any issues with the seal around the shower, so it must be condensation gettin through somewhere as it can't escape?

Sponsored Links
Yea a bit of rust probably formed on the gearbox weakening it until it snapped.

What will need to be done is:
Take the glass out to make the sash more flexible. The using scrapers, flat screwdrivers and possibly a small crowbar. Wiggle the sash back and forth until hopefully the cams and shoot bolts retract.

There is a small possibility of damaging the window or cracking one of the welds while doing this. So I would recommend getting someone in to do it who could repair or replace the window if needs be.

The larger the sash the easier it is to do as it can flex more. How big is your one?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back