Bathroom Wiring Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, looking for some opinions after reading a few other posts around a bathroom remodel.

I am wanting a large LED mirror installing on my bathroom wall (Zone 2). The adjacent wall and entrance to the bathroom is approx 2m away from the intended wall.

The only current source of power coming into the bathroom is from the ceiling rose powering the light fitting and extractor fan, and from a switched fused spur located on the outside of the door, that use to run a wall mounted heater. (Heater is not staying)

My hope, would be to power the mirror via the spur (for the added protection), rather than the ceiling rose. My issue is the spur being located on the opposite wall some distance away.

I guess my query really is:

A) is using the spur a more viable option than the ceiling rose?

B) if I did use the spur, would running the cable be better under the floor; behind the tiled wall (and subsequently around the bath and shower); or through the ceiling?

C) if the cable was run through any of these places, would the work be notifiable?

D) what kind of issues could arise from doing such work?

I'm not planning to do the work myself, but would like to know the ins and outs of the task, before deciding if it's something worth doing.

Much appreciated

Sponsored Links
a - no, lights should be connected to the lighting circuit. Using the 'spur' doesn't add any protection.
b - cable should be installed via the most convenient route, which is probably in the ceiling and down to the light.
c - items in the zones of a bathroom are notifiable
d - unknown without a lot more information

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back