bathroom wll covering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Apologies for this but I am mightily confused about wall coverings in a bathroom, both in a general bathroom area (i.e. not a splash zone above the bath or in a shower) and the areas inside splash zones (shower cubicle, above bath, around basin).

My bathroom is back to brick on 3 walls with one wall being a blockwork wall which still has plaster on it (not PB). This wall was previously a toilet that was knocked through and was separate to the bathroom. I took plaster off the other walls as it was basically shot.

I had thought that then all I would need to do was reboard (normal PB) and in the splash zones use a waterproof membrane kit for tanking out. I have spent the evening looking at a load of sites and forums and I am now totally worried and confused.

Some say normal PB will be fine as long as using a tanking kit in the cubicle etc. Others say use aquapanel/ hardy backer in splash zones and don't bother with tanking kit. Some say use aquapanel hardybacker everywhere and tank!!!

I obviously want the job to be sound but I don't want to go overboard and spend more than i need if its not necessary. The bathroom will have an extractor as per regs etc. It will have a bath and a shower.

Am I right to change my somewhat naive plan of using normal PB all over. In terms of tiles that I want to fit - sorry I really don't know as the missus hasn't chosen. But if I assume they may be 'big ones' and weighty worse case scenario what should i do.

Would welcome some clear answers on:

1) can I just use normal pb all over and tank in splashzones? what do i do in non splash zone areas - use a manufacturer primer and tile straight on?
2) should I use moisture resistant board everywhere (just remembered ceiling is normal board (not moisture resistant (isn't going to be tiled just skimmed - s this a problem?).
3) do I use aquapanel in splash zones and normal pb elsewhere etc

Again apologies as I feel I'm probably opening a can of worms open to many different opinions but as I say I am now majorly confused.
thanks in advance
Bonce

Sponsored Links
Why not post pics and do a little searching for exactly similar questions in the Search facility above?

All plaster board is the same - dont use p/b in wet areas.

Ceiling p/b is not a problem - use appropriate paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back