Bathroom Zone 1 / IP65 Lights

• Thread starter Deleted2797112
  • Start date
D

Deleted2797112

Hi!
Hoping for a bit more help. I had a REALLY bad experience with a bathroom refurb job - long story, ended badly. I'm now having to pick up the pieces and a lot of what was done will have to be ripped out and re-done at some considerable cost. I'm trying to arm myself with enough info to make the right decisions this time so.......

The bathroom has 5 surface-mounted ceiling lights, 2 directly above the bath and over-bath shower and 3 approx. 1.5m from the bath. I understand from the builders that have looked at these that they're illegal and dangerous and will have to go. I need to keep the cost down so, if at all possible, the cheapest option would be just to do a straight replacement of the 5 lights with something legal in the same positions. The problem is that there is no ceiling void to recess the gubbins into - it's solid concrete - so the lights have to be surface mounted. Is there such a light that meets the regulations or does the meeting the regs bit happen because the electrics are in the ceiling void?

I've had a look and they all seem to be recessed downlighter types and the low voltage ones also need somewhere to mount a transformer. The alternatives are centre fittings but I'm really hoping to avoid having to do a re-wiring job as the ceiling would have to be re-plastered again.

This is the existing light:

View media item 46827
Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Thank you - that's given me one more option than I had before! I'd have to have the whole lot re-wired and plastered to put in a central light and the walls are tiled so wall lights would be another big cost.

I've just measured from the floor to the ceiling at the bath and the height is 2.32m - does this mean that I don't have to have IP65 rated lights and that zone 2, IP44 would be OK? John Lewis has a spotlight quite similar to what's there already that's IP44 rated so if zone 2 was OK, I might have a few more options.

I've just measured from the floor to the ceiling at the bath and the height is 2.32m - does this mean that I don't have to have IP65 rated lights and that zone 2, IP44 would be OK? John Lewis has a spotlight quite similar to what's there already that's IP44 rated so if zone 2 was OK, I might have a few more options.
See wiki for zone heights and IP ratings:
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:speclcn:bathroom_zones
So IP44 should be okay.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again - the link is very helpful, and I now understand what the I and P mean!

I'm wondering whether the existing lights might be IP44 anyway and that this could be a flap over nothing. I suppose I can undo one and see if there are any labels/markings inside. No-one has done that so the dire warnings about being illegal/dangerous are only based on appearance. If there's nothing on the lights then I'll have to err on the side of safety and change them.

It cannot be IP anything with the lamp sticking out.

As the link will have shown you, over 2.25m from the floor is outside the zones so
you can fit anything that is suitable for the environment - moisture.

I don't think the present lights are suitable.
Look for fittings which are designed for bathrooms.

Thanks again - the link is very helpful, and I now understand what the I and P mean!

I'm wondering whether the existing lights might be IP44 anyway and that this could be a flap over nothing. I suppose I can undo one and see if there are any labels/markings inside. No-one has done that so the dire warnings about being illegal/dangerous are only based on appearance. If there's nothing on the lights then I'll have to err on the side of safety and change them.

It cannot be IP anything with the lamp sticking out.

As the link will have shown you, over 2.25m from the floor is outside the zones so
you can fit anything that is suitable for the environment - moisture.

I don't think the present lights are suitable.
Look for fittings which are designed for bathrooms.

Thanks - that clears that up! Apologies for the stupid questions, I'm grateful for the patient replies :D

And apologies for the double posting too.

willy_nilly.gif

Edit - Oh, you changed your post. Mine doesn't make sense now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back