Bathroom Zone 1 SELV or One of These??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's an interesting one - I think...

I have a bathroom fan in zone 1 that was fitted decades ago which is getting near retirement. Obviously, I'd have to replace it with a SELV now but what are the regs pertaining to one of these?! Technically, the fan wouldn't be in zone1.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Doubt it would extract anything out of the bathroom as it will be blowing into the bathroom as far as I can tell.

Doubt it would extract anything out of the bathroom as it will be blowing into the bathroom as far as I can tell.

It's an externally mounted extractor so the motor/fan is on the outside. There's no reason why it wouldn't pull air from in to out as long as the blades are spinning in the correct direction.

Sponsored Links
I was intrigued about alternatives. Existing old fan is 200mm and makes a racket anyway but not an issue for neighbours being a detached house. 53dB @ 3m is fairly loud thou lol!

Other than reducing the resale value of your property it should be fine.

It says "These fans are exhaust air fans for installation on an outside wall", and "they are commonly used in domestic kitchen extraction applications".

Why are you unsure?

It says "These fans are exhaust air fans for installation on an outside wall", and "they are commonly used in domestic kitchen extraction applications".

Why are you unsure?
Perhaps it is my natural suspicious nature, plus the design just does not look right, why make it with a grill like that if it is just blowing air through it. :)

Perhaps it is my natural suspicious nature,
So do you, by default, disbelieve the claims of every fan manufacturer in the world, and act as if you're unsure if what they say is an extract fan is actually one?

T***.

plus the design just does not look right, why make it with a grill like that if it is just blowing air through it. :)
Aesthetics? What would you rather have, just a big gaping hole?

Or the first digit of an IP rating, to stop people shoving their hands into a big gaping hole and mangling them in the fan blades?

T***.

Perhaps it is my natural suspicious nature,
So do you, by default, disbelieve the claims of every fan manufacturer in the world, and act as if you're unsure if what they say is an extract fan is actually one?

T***.

plus the design just does not look right, why make it with a grill like that if it is just blowing air through it. :)
Aesthetics? What would you rather have, just a big gaping hole?

Or the first digit of an IP rating, to stop people shoving their hands into a big gaping hole and mangling them in the fan blades?

T***.
Not sure what you appear to be getting in a huff about, I, like you are just offering , rightly or wrongly , an opinion. I'm not sure what the abreviation T*** stands for, but if it is as offensive as I suspect then G* F*** Y******* If not then I apologise in advance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back