Bathroom Zones / Light strips

All of this discussion is quite interesting to me. .... So, in Australia, a socket outlet (RCD protected) may be provided at just over 0.6 m from Zone 1 whereas in the UK such an outlet must be at least 3 m from zone 1.
Given the general attitude of Australia to electrical matters, I have to say that that rather surprises me.

Although I have no real knowledge of regulations in other countries, from what one sees there is very little restriction on the instaallation of sockets in bathrooms in most European countries - and, as has sometimes been observed, that does not seem to have been associated with people 'dropping like flies' in such countries.

Maybe Australians are considered to me more 'sensible' than those in the UK? As I recently wrote, I think the main reason for the '3 metre rule' in the UK is to make it difficult for (idiotic) people who might otherwise be tempted to use things like hair dryers whist actually in a bath or shower!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
“Outside of the Zones
A socket outlet may be installed providing it is at least 3 metres away horizontally away from the edge of zone 1.”
That is, in effect, which was always the case, outside of zone 3.

They did away with zone 3 and so had to re-word the regulation so that it stayed the same.

Of course, here in Europe where people are much more sensible, sockets are allowed in bathrooms (not sure what the actual rules say).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back