Bathroom Zones & Notifying

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to have some down lighters in a shelf above the wash hand basin. This is to replace an identical set up, albeit with LEDs rather than Halogen downlighters.
I am a little confused over the zones. I have seen references to Zone 2 extending 2.25 metres above the WHB, and also for it being only 600mm. My shelf is about 900m above the basin.

Trying to search here, I found Flameport saying that Notification requirements are limited.

So:
Is this Zone 2 or NO Zone?
Will this be notifiable?
Is it a requirement that a Part P registered electrician completes the work?

Are 240 V LEDs suitable?
should I be concerned about Warm/Cool/Day light?

Also we have a NON SWITCHED FCU, above the shelf, as the existing lights are LV with a separate transformer. Is this actually allowed?

Any other comments or product suggestions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There is no Zone 2 above a WHB.

Assuming you’re not in Zone 2 from the bath/shower I would just crack on with it.

I like cool/daylight in bathrooms and kitchens but cool/warm is personal preference. Also depends what colour the shelf is you’re lighting up etc and mainly what colour your overhead fitting is. If it’s halogen/filament then get warm.

I really like the Enlite E8 and recently the Collingwood (Halers) H2 Pro. Both brilliant fittings and about the same quality. The H2 Pro is more expensive but will fit a 60-80mm hole where as the E8 is a 70mm hole with no downward tolerance whatsoever.

All work in a bathroom is notifiable. There is no such thing as a part P registered electrician.

Sponsored Links
There is no Zone 2 above a WHB.

Thanks all for the comments. I must admit to some confusion over "Part P", an half expected some criticism of my terminology, and I understand that all the plumbers /gasmen who think they are "part P" qualified, got suckered.

Iggifier: I was initially surprised by your statement, as I had not seen that. I had seen this, as well as read about the zone being even bigger (on Google images):
images

On reading your comment, i looked again, and right beside the above was:
images

Google PLUS limited knowledge can be a dangerous thing !

I will look at those products you recommended. Thanks again

Is the Unswitched FCU okay?

As above but also even if non notifiable it still has to meet part p, just you don't have to follow the notification process.
The most important one for your case would be make sure the light is suitable for the location, ie won't be affected by any foreseeable condensation. A lot of light fitting manufacturers specify not suitable for bathrooms.
If there's no new wiring you needn't add RCD protection, but it would still be wise to if there isn't any. And it sounds like there might be additional wiring if the old lights run from a transformer anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back