Bathroom zoning in a split room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm about to have a bathroom completely refurbished and would like to understand the finer points of bathroom electrical zoning before starting to design the new layout.

I want to split the existing bathroom (which is about 2.5m x 2.75m) into a bathroom area and a cloakroom/storage area. If you imagine a roughly square room with it's door at the bottom right, I want to split it so that the laft-hand portion of the room is the bathroom area and the right-hand portion is the cloakroom. The two will be split using stud walls from floor to ceiling.

If access to the bathroom portion is via an additional door set into the stud walling between the two parts of the original room, I assume that the bathroom portion of the room is then defined as a separate room and no zoning restrictions apply within the cloakroom area? Is that correct?

But what if the door set into the stud partition is replaced with an open gap the size of a normal doorway? How does that affect zoning considerations in the cloakroom area?

If my description of the layout isn't clear enough, I'll sketch it out and upload an image.... But the question really boils down to how stud partitioning in a bathroom area affects zoning and, in particular, whether or not a separate door to complete the separation makes a significant difference over having a door-sized gap in the partitioning.

Mike

Sponsored Links
//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics%3Abathroom_zones
Thanks for your response.

I've looked at this explanation of bathroom zoning and quite a few similar ones. However, unless I'm missing something, none of them seem to address the specific point I raised in my post, i.e. how does splitting the room with stud walling affect the zoning and, in particular, whether or not a door to complete the separation makes a significant difference over having a door-sized gap in the partitioning.

Mike

Is your doorway going to be less than 0.6m from the edge of your bath?

Sponsored Links
If you are having a bath in the bathroom and it is not a wet-room. Then would any electrical appliances be within 600mm of the edge of the bath horizontally?

If access to the bathroom portion is via an additional door set into the stud walling between the two parts of the original room, I assume that the bathroom portion of the room is then defined as a separate room and no zoning restrictions apply within the cloakroom area? Is that correct? ... But what if the door set into the stud partition is replaced with an open gap the size of a normal doorway? How does that affect zoning considerations in the cloakroom area? ... the question really boils down to how stud partitioning in a bathroom area affects zoning and, in particular, whether or not a separate door to complete the separation makes a significant difference over having a door-sized gap in the partitioning.
I would imagine it probably makes a big difference. 'Zones' relate to a 'room containing a bath or shower'. Although the regs do not define 'room', I would have thought that it needs to be separated by a door from other areas to qualify as a separate room. In the absence of a door, I would have said that the whole area qualifies as 'a room containing a bath or shower'. Let's face it were that not the case, then one could stretch your situation to absurd lengths and still claim it was 'two rooms'- the 'gap' could be much bigger than door-sized (might even be almost as big as the whole room - e.g. if there were an 'arch').

The more uncertain question (at least in my mind) is whether zones can extend through 'partitions' within a room - and I think the regs are silent about that. Do I take it that you would like to have electrical accessories (sockets, switches' etc.) within the cloakroom area?

Kind Regards, John

I can't find any diagrams on the net but there are some in 701 where zone 2 extends around a partition wall - if within 600mm. of the bath or shower.

Therefore without a door I would say the three metres to a socket still applies.

As I understand it, in situation where there is a partition but no door. Then the 600mm rule applies around the open. So I would assume that 3m for sockets would also apply.

I can't find any diagrams on the net but there are some in 701 where zone 2 extends around a partition wall - if within 600mm. of the bath or shower.
Yes, you're right. Indeed, even Zone 1 in one case.
Therefore without a door I would say the three metres to a socket still applies.
Agreed - and 600mm to the boundary of Zone 2. ... and I think that probably makes sense.

Kind Regards, John

The 600mm rule is easy. It's the 3 meter rule. Socket-outlets are prohibited within a distance of 3 m horizontally from the boundary of zone 1. I will guess asking about a socket and only sure way is to use a door.

The 600mm rule is easy. It's the 3 meter rule. Socket-outlets are prohibited within a distance of 3 m horizontally from the boundary of zone 1. I will guess asking about a socket and only sure way is to use a door.
If our assumption about the (regulatory) significance of a door is correct, then it's really a bit worrying. Doors can be left open, and the socket might not be much more than 600mm from a bath/shower - so, with the probable length of the flex of anything plugged into that socket ..... !! (using hairdryers in the bath?!)

Regardless of regulations, I personally would not want a socket anywhere within in 2.5m x 2.75m 'space' that contained a bath or shower. It would hopefully be safe enough if I were the occupant, but as for other occupants, who knows what they might try to do!

Kind Regards, John

This is no different than a(n airing) cupboard right next to the bath.

If there is a door you can do what you like in the cupboard.

Thank you for all the replies.

I'll try to answer the questions in the order in which they were asked....

The bathroom will contain a shower cubicle - it isn't a wet room.

The door (or gap in the partition) will be at least 800mm from the edge of the shower.

With the exception of an extractor fan (which, as I understand it, will have to be SELV), no electrical fittings will be within zone 0, 1 or 2.

I take JohnW2's point that the definition of a "gap" in partitioning could be taken to ridiculous extremes but, as he also says later, doors can be left open and, for instance, a socket in a hallway or landing might then be well within the 3m limit. Let's face it, for many new-build houses these days 3m in any direction would take you well into your neighbour's property.... :)

As to the fittings I would like to install... First, I'd like the light switch (NOT a pull-cord variety) to be just inside the main door. Is that likely to be permitted given the layout of the room (image coming shortly)? And yes, the intention would be to install a socket in one corner of the cloakroom approximately 800mm on the cloakroom side of the gap in the partition. It sounds as though that would definitely not be permitted unless the gap in the partition actually had a door, and even then might not be a good idea?

In an attempt to clarify the layout a bit more, I'll try to upload an image shortly...

Many thanks for your help.

Mike

The door (or gap in the partition) will be at least 800mm from the edge of the shower.
Then it will make no difference to the requirements other than partially block, and so restrict, the distance to sockets.

With the exception of an extractor fan (which, as I understand it, will have to be SELV), no electrical fittings will be within zone 0, 1 or 2.
Extractor fans do not have to be SELV.

I take JohnW2's point that the definition of a "gap" in partitioning could be taken to ridiculous extremes but, as he also says later, doors can be left open and, for instance, a socket in a hallway or landing might then be well within the 3m limit.
Doors left open do not count.

Let's face it, for many new-build houses these days 3m in any direction would take you well into your neighbour's property.... :)
Through walls - or doors - does not count.

As to the fittings I would like to install... First, I'd like the light switch (NOT a pull-cord variety) to be just inside the main door. Is that likely to be permitted given the layout of the room (image coming shortly)?
If it is suitable for the environment.
No manufacturer mentions this for ordinary switches so it's up to you.

And yes, the intention would be to install a socket in one corner of the cloakroom approximately 800mm on the cloakroom side of the gap in the partition. It sounds as though that would definitely not be permitted unless the gap in the partition actually had a door,
That is correct.

and even then might not be a good idea?
Irrelevant.

So.... ( I hope I've got this right)...

Placing a conventional light switch inside the door into the cloakroom part of the room would not be a problem?

Placing a socket in the cloakroom area would not be permitted unless there is an inner door to completely separate the bathroom and cloakroom areas?

In case the details of the layout make any difference, I've attached a scale drawing....

Thanks for all the help,

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back