Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On lifting some floorboards showing damp spots, i came across this little surprise! Its a first floor bathroom. The major joist damage seems to be around where the toilet was sitting, i expect it had been leaking for years!
I guess its a little warning to what damage a leaky toilet can do. :eek:
Plan of action is to repair the joists with a side brace and replace the boards. How long would this take to dry out do you think? Should i treat the rot with anything? I really want to be able to reboard it and get on with fitting the bathroom.
TIA, View media item 73223 View media item 73224 View media item 73225

Sponsored Links
Normally up to 3 weeks to dry out.

Put a desk fan blowing air onto the joists and leave the window ajar.

Andy

Hi, you seem to have had an attack of wood boring insects which have been attracted to the fungal damaged wood - very common.
Wet rot is also present.

Dig into the joists with a thin chisel or sharp screwdriver and determine if they are still sound ( they might be "hollowed out") and if the insects are still active?.

If the joists are in reasonable condition then slant some drilled holes into all surfaces and flood the whole shebang with a cheap anti-fungal/anti-insect solution.
Or paste everything with remedial "mayonnaise" paste after flooding.
Vacuum out all debris.

Perhaps, ditch the boards and renew with treated boards/chipboard flooring.

Make certain that the joists will bear the floor, and that there's no infection behind the skirting or plaster.

Yes, i can see some holes from woodworm, not sure if they are active.
Are the woodworm attracted to the wet environment, will they go away once the wet is removed?

Sponsored Links
Hi, you seem to have had an attack of wood boring insects which have been attracted to the fungal damaged wood - very common.
Wet rot is also present.

Dig into the joists with a thin chisel or sharp screwdriver and determine if they are still sound ( they might be "hollowed out") and if the insects are still active?.

How can i tell if they are active?

Are you serious? You can see them.

They are attracted to damp environments but not exclusively.

Use a mirror and a flashlight to view under the in-place floor boards.

You wont until you do as i suggested above: gouge out the joists.

When treating with chemicals, you can slant some deep drilled holes into the joists and soak with chemical.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back