battene battens battens

Sponsored Links
Silly me! cos the only writhing in the post was a link.. I didn't notice it was a link.. if you get my drift!
thanks!

Sponsored Links
Tini - we have a DX36M nailer which uses collated blank cartridges to fire the nails, X-DNI type. You position the batten to be fixed, slip a nail into the muzzle of the barrel, bear the Hilti Gun on where you want the fix, fire.

The nails come in lots of different lengths depending on what's to be fixed, but a general rule is 1/3 for the material being fixed & 2/3 into what it's being fixed to (this is also a good rule for wood screws).

A tip when using this tackle - make sure the material being fixed is firmly down on the bearing surface so it can't 'bounce'; use you own weight to do this by standing on the batten whilst 'shooting'.

You don't have to buy one of these things as you should be able to hire (and get the consumables, the blanks & nails {boxes of 100 nails}) from your local hire shop. They may not have a huge range nail lengths and Hilti do a range of guns so you may not get the same as ours.

Wear ear muffs & safety goggles (IMPORTANT!!!). The gogs should protect your peepers from displaced bits of debris, this stuff travels at supersonic speed so you can't re-act quickly enough when shutting you eyes. Muffs to protect ears from the report of what is essentially a gun.

Thanks again both kind respondants. i am now worrying about a noisy floor resulting from this method and was considering glueing onto an underlay. Woody, i have read your articles, As My concrete floor is very old, i wouldn't need a dpm would i?
Please advise what kind you would use, and If I go on with the battens mehod, should i lay some kind of soundproofing betwwen them!!

Thanks again

Tini - soundproofing? Why? Concrete floor ... assumed ground floor and nobody living below.

Atinman, how wide are the boards you plan to install?

If your concrete is level (and in your circumstances - concrete but not on groundfloor) and boards wider than 100mm you could use Timbermate Duratex 3.6mm sound reducing underlayment and install boards floating (glueing T&G's).

also make sure that boards don't touch walls, pipes etc - those make sound travel down too.

Tini - I take it all back, my batten advice was based on a solid concrete ground floor not a suspended concrete job like yours. Float the floor.

Thanks again for all your advice. ok so I will float the floor!!

I may well use that timbermate product, is it suitable for ironing out the odd stretch of uneven concrete?

I have an uneven concrete floor
I did have a wood floor -but we had to remove it
I want to replace said floor
Options are
1) DPM coat and put a laytex screed down and glue floor
2) put a plastic DPM down and float floor
3) plastic DPM /insulate and baton it-however I understand that planks need to be at least 19 mm thick

Any comments on the best way ?? :?: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back