how to fix cross battens in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm thinking about cross-battening my loft so I can increas the level of insulation to 270mm, and then board over the top for light storage. But I cant decide the best way to secure the new battens..? would a few diagonal screws through into the rafters below be ok with the view that when I screw the boards down that'll hold it rigid?

Or should I use a long screw to go through the top of the new batten and into the rafter below, and then board with seperate screws?

Or should I just lay them in place and screw the boards to them which will be enough to hold it all tight?

OR, should I even bother with the cross battening to gain another 150mm insulation? Will the initial outlay for insulation and cross battens be way more than what i'll save when fitted?

Many thanks fellas, Phil

Sponsored Links
you must securely screw every bit off wood to every other for maximum support

if your using 3"wood use 4" screws countersunk 10mm

or use 5mm x60 or 70mm at about 45 degrees start around 30mm up

Did my loft a while back,

put 3x2 on top of the old 3x2, screwed from top to bottom, made a couple of u shape clips out of wood to keep the new 3x2 lined up, stood on the wood, screwed it all the way home.

then put noggins between the new bits for extra support, the whole place became very very taught.

i had a wrist like popeye at the end, mind.

I needed a lot more screws than i thought i did, also invested in some super hard wera bits.

i would go inline with your current joists, the insulation will be a bitxh to lay other wise.

hey big-all did you see force india in the f1 using ryobi blowers to cool down the brakes on the F1 Car? very amused, lithium batteries, no expense spared...

medium to light trade, and F1

Sponsored Links
hey big-all did you see force india in the f1 using ryobi blowers to cool down the brakes on the F1 Car? very amused, lithium batteries, no expense spared...

medium to light trade, and F1

great publicity for ryobi ;)
why go for a multi million pound solution when an off the shelve alternative is avalable :D
as long as they dont use skoda parts to save money :D :D

not that great publicity, the blowers were sprayed black, i just noticed the battery..... eagle eyes... :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back