Battening for plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I need to batten out for plasterboard to cover over some new utilities that have been run up the wall. The room is small as it is and I'd like to lose as little space as possible.

I considered 38x63mm timber but the wall is far from straight and I'm concerned that I won't be able to get the battens vertical without a huge amount of wedges etc. The other option I considered was gyplyner wall lining.

The ceiling is concrete so I can secure into it, but the joists run parallel to the wall, about 110mm out. As part of the work I'll be replacing the existing boards with 25mm ply.

Has anybody got advice on how to proceed? So far I'm thinking about:

* Screwing an extra 2" timber to the joist near the wall for extra support.
* Putting down the ply.
* Using gyplyner and attaching the bottom channel to the ply, the top to the concrete ceiling.
* Fitting the rest of the frame as usual.

The only problem I can see with this is I'll never be able to lift the ply without taking the wall down, which is not ideal. Would running a thinner strip of ply parallel the wall be a bad idea, screwing it to at least two joists?

I could also possibly screw a 2x2 along the bottom wall to act as a support for the gyplyner channel?

Some pics:

joists1.jpg

pot_belly.jpg

Sponsored Links
Cant you dot and dab plasterboard over the existing wall. The pipes/conduits in the wall look to be at least partially chased in already.

You will only loose an inch and a half and wont have to mess about with battens.

Thanks for the reply. The pipework has been chased into the plaster and render, but the render has a distinct pot-belly, it's about an 30-40mm deep in the middle of the wall, but less than a 10mm at the top and the bottom. My limited skills will run to drilling screwing and sawing, I'm not sure I could make a good job of dot'n'dab, particularly with the wobbly wall.

Also, I can only get 1800x900 board into the house and I suspect that not being able to use a single board floor to ceiling will make the job even harder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back