battening old uneven wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just wondering if anyone has any tips on battening out an old sandstone wall that's pretty uneven. I'd like to leave a small gap to allow airflow. Should i screw horizontal timber to floor and ceiling and work off that, or should i start with vertical timbers on the wall, suitably packed? Presumably the second method will require some pretty long screws.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I did mine with three lines. Top middle and bottom.
With hammer in fixings.

If I was doing it again I'd fix a horizontal batten along the bottom to leave the skirting fixing easier.

And these to do the fixing...
https://www.multifixings.com/plastic-frame-packers-cat.html
along with plastic frame packers.

50mm of insulation was fitted between the battens!

Thanks, the wall is sandstone so was thinking of using long frame fixings. I'm just unsure of how to make the wall the level so that when i fix plasterboard the joints line up ok.

I was planning on insulation between the battens then plasterboard on top. Should i also be thinking about dpm between insulation and plasterboard?

Some people might say fit a dpm.

If you have damp problems then you should address that from outside the building.

Sponsored Links
Fit top and bottom timbers then fit noggings moving them up or down the wall until part of it touches the wall then fix there to uprights and wall, no packing required as it will only be fixed where it is in contact with original wall.

That's not a bad idea except that the noggins will interfere when fitting the insulation.

Insulation is hardly difficult to trim to size and will need cutting anyway :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back