Battens Exterior wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to use some reclaimed pallet wood on this wall. The wood isn’t very thick. I was planning on using 18mm battens then just using a brad nailer to attach the pallets. Would it be possible to attach the battens using this stuff:

https://trade.evo-stik.co.uk/product/528-instant-contact-adhesive

I am getting a pergola built so it will be shielded from the elements. I’m not overly keen drilling into here considering all the thickness of the wood I’m using. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• FAC68221-F457-4BE8-8B27-002E47C3C877.jpeg
    FAC68221-F457-4BE8-8B27-002E47C3C877.jpeg
    300.2 KB · Views: 90
Sponsored Links
You'd be better off with one of those pink gripfill type ones, however at the end of the day you'll be relying on how well the render is attached to the bricks and in turn the paint is attached to the render. Any one of those joints fails it will drop off. You'd need to get an angle grinder and texture up the surface to get a decent connection, by that time screws and plugs would be cheaper and cleaner and less damage.

joec 1985,
As john D suggests above, if you go that route.

FWIW: Would you care for some comments about some of the details I can see in your pic?

Sponsored Links
joec 1985,
As john D suggests above, if you go that route.

FWIW: Would you care for some comments about some of the details I can see in your pic?

Yes got for it mate (that’s actually my neighbours wall he had an extension done a few years ago)

There's the obvious rising/penetrating damp signs on the neighbours wall.
Where that wall butts against the rear elevation it could be creating penetrating damp conditions inside your kitchen (?).
Low down below your dashed render there's smooth render that also shows signs of rising or penetrating damp.
Any DPC in your rear wall could have been bridged?
Is the kitchen (?) floor solid or suspended?
Is the rear elevation wall solid or cavity?
Presumably, the patio surface is lower than your kitchen(?) FFL.

The usual fearmongering tactics from the usual suspect. There’s no evidence of rising or penetrating damp and anyone who says different is clueless. external decorative spoiling is completely normal. for all we know there could be a dpc lower down than the picture in the outbuilding and a dpm protecting the possibly cavity wall above /behind the slabbed area.
get on with your project , and screw it to the wall. No adhesive on the planet will guarantee the white paint wont come off .

Yes got for it mate (that’s actually my neighbours wall he had an extension done a few years ago)

If the wall belongs to your neighbour, has he given you permission to attach things to it?

Why is the base of the wall wet?

I can say it isn’t rising damp. This area hasn’t been cleaned in about 3 years. I gave it a powerwash and paint touch up yesterday and it’s like new. Also filled the gaps with kiln dried sand. In terms of the neighbour, he has no problem Whatsoever with me doing this. He would need to hop over his fence in order to see it as it is on my side. Thanks for the responses. Will go ahead with the screw option.

If it's a party wall astride the boundary then you have the right to use the wall, although if anything you were doing might affect the wall then you'd have to do all the party wall act shenanigans.
Either way if the neighbour doesn't care and the changes never cause a noticeable issue it should be ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back