battens minimum size for plasterboard wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am building an L shape wall to create a small bathroom in a corner of a bigger room.

For the bathroom floor i would use a standard plywood sheet 244x122cm, which will be the size of the bathroom also. I will screw the plywood on the floor on the wooden boards.

Shall i build the stud wall on top of the plywood or around it?

I would like as thin as possible wall because of limited space. What is the minimum thickness size of battens i can use?

Sponsored Links
Shall i build the stud wall on top of the plywood or around it?

I would build the stud wall and then plywood the floor within these walls, that way it can be replaced or lifted easier in future if needed.

I would like as thin as possible wall because of limited space. What is the minimum thickness size of battens i can use?

63mm x 38mm is probably the minimum to gain a wall of decent rigidity. Ensure a good fixing for the head and sill plate and i'd space at 400mm centres for the studs with noggins half way.

Also consider if you plan to hang anything on this wall, towel heater, basin etc and allow for further supports if necessary. You probably wouldn't want the wall too thin anyway otherwise you'll hear everything, shower, bath, toilet :whistle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back