1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Battery charger

Discussion in 'Car Repairs / Maintenance' started by EFLImpudence, 26 Nov 2017.

1. EFLImpudence

EFLImpudence

Thanks Received:
    Portugal
    My battery charger instructions state (in not at all prominent text) that it is not suitable for maintenance-free batteries.

Does this mean any battery without removable caps?

If so, what is the difference between this charger and ones which are suitable, and
    how do I tell which charger is suitable without opening the box and reading the instructions?

Or need I not worry about it?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Belle427

Belle427

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Peter.N.

Peter.N.

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Very interesting that. I can confirm that charge rate and maximum voltage can make a tremendous difference to the life of a battery. I have a couple of 12v 100 ah batteries as standby for my amateur radio gear, I bought them secondhand about 10 years ago and have used a voltage regulated charger st at 13.2 volts as 2.2 volts is what a fully charged cell should read, possibly they are being slightly undercharged but its certainly done nothing to shorten their life and as they are on float charge it is sufficient.

I did have four of them, I let my son have one for his pressure window cleaning system, a fairly fast charge every night resulted in it lasting about three months, that was a couple of years ago and the others are still going fine.

He bought a couple of replacements and they lasted no time at all but the last one he bought I made a voltage regulated charger for and he has been going fine for a year of more.

Peter

• Thanks Thanks x 1