Battery question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have the need to replace a 7.2v 600mAh battery and I have found a replacement that would fit but it is a 3200mAh battery.

The 600mAh battery supports the contol panel for 10hrs when mains power is lost.

Will the 3200mAh battery last as long or longer or just discharge quicker.
I guess the panel wont use any more power any quicker just because the battery is capable of outputting more or am I wrong?

It is the same voltage but designed for high power use in a radio controlled model rather than a low consumption control panel.

Sponsored Links
What is the name/type of control panel, I'll tell you the correct battery to fit as recommended by the manufacturer

I know the correct battery I was just wondering what the effect of fitting a same voltage but different mAh rated battery would be if I couldn't source one identical. thanks for your offer though.

Assuming you are talking about a burglar alarm control panel, I've never in 30yrs+ seen one that uses a 7.2v battery, that is my interest, wondering if you had the wrong battery to start with.

Sponsored Links
Fitting a battery with a larger capacity will provide a longer back up time during a mains failure.

The only problem that may occur is with the re-charging of the battery if the charger circuit in the control panel cannot cope with the larger capacity battery when re-charging when mains power returns after a prolonged mains failure.

Assuming you are talking about a burglar alarm control panel, I've never in 30yrs+ seen one that uses a 7.2v battery, that is my interest, wondering if you had the wrong battery to start with.

No its the correct battery as defined by the original I have removed. I just need to know wether I can replace it with a different battery of a different mAh if I cannot source an original which I can't find as a spare from the manufacturer.Cheers

Fitting a battery with a larger capacity will provide a longer back up time during a mains failure.

The only problem that may occur is with the re-charging of the battery if the charger circuit in the control panel cannot cope with the larger capacity battery when re-charging when mains power returns after a prolonged mains failure.

Cheers,
The charger is 12v 500mA
at six cells for the 3200mAh as opposed to 3 for the original 600mAh the 12v is well within the specified max of 4.5v per cell but at only 2v per cell and 500mA would it recharge the cells if only slowly?

at six cells for the 3200mAh as opposed to 3 for the original 600mAh the 12v is well within the specified max of 4.5v per cell but at only 2v per cell and 500mA would it recharge the cells if only slowly?

Cells are circa two volts per cell. The original 12v 600mAh would have 6 cells not 3 cells.

Charging at 4.5 volts per cell would seriously over charge the cells and almost certainly irrepairable damage them and possibly lead to an explosive destruction of the battery.

Cells are circa two volts per cell. The original 12v 600mAh would have 6 cells not 3 cells.

Charging at 4.5 volts per cell would seriously over charge the cells and almost certainly irrepairable damage them and possibly lead to an explosive destruction of the battery.

Both batteries are 7.2v it is the charger which is 12v and 500mA.

Would this charge a 6 cell 7.2v 3200mAh battery?
The original battery is 3 cell 7.2v 600mAh.
The cells are NiH AA

As Europlex asked.

What panel do you have?

Just because it already has a battery in, it doesn't mean it is the correct one!

Its definately the correct battery as it has been in since new and fits in a dedicated holder.

Its definately the correct battery as it has been in since new and fits in a dedicated holder.
don't answer then.

Why ask for advice if you won't give information?

Whats your problem?

Its the correct battery as it has been in since new and bought from its original box. Why do you insist on suggesting I could be wrong when I patently am not.

If you cant answer the question about using an alternative battery and the consequences of such then you are of no use at all to me and your odd suggestion that I am not giving information despite several times insisting I have the correct battery is of no help whatsoever.

Kindly refrain from answering this thread.

No it is the correct unit , cheers

[If you cant answer the question about using an alternative battery and the consequences of such then you are of no use at all to me and your odd suggestion that I am not giving information despite several times insisting I have the correct battery is of no help whatsoever.

Kindly refrain from answering this thread.

I design electronic equipment including items that have battery chargers built into them. So my experience is valid

The information you are providing is contra-dictory. How do you know the charger is rated at 12 volts 500 mA ? Is it a separate unit from the control panel.

But the most contra-dictory statement is that the charger is 12 volt and the original fitted battery is 7.5 volt. If that is true then the design of the system is not good. To put 500 mA into an AA cell ( or AA cells in series ) without temperature sensing of the cell pack to reduce charging current once the cells are fully charged isasking for damage to the cells and possible fire or explosion risk.

No one is going to give advice based on in-accurate information as the risk of possibly in-valid advice causing you to be injured is to high.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back