Ni-Cd batteries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The solar lights I use in the garden are powered by re-chargeable Ni-Cd AA Batteries, 600mah, 1.2V. Am I right in assuming Ni-Cd batteries are no longer available in 'High Street' shops & if so are they available from any other source or will I have to buy new lights powered by Ni-Mh batteries or is there an equivalent Ni-Mh for my batteries?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Just replace with NiMh batteries, and dispose of the NiCds properly.

Sponsored Links
ni-mh don't have the memory effect of ni-cd batteries so if they do actually charge in your solar powered lights they will probably last a lot longer.

Most household chargers charge both types but charging the wrong type of battery in a charger could result in an explosion!

From Wikipedia:

Environmental consequences of Cadmium

NiCd batteries contain cadmium, which is a toxic heavy metal and therefore requires special care during battery disposal. In the United States, part of the price of a NiCd battery is a fee for its proper disposal at the end of its service lifetime. In the European Union, the Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive (RoHS) bans the use of cadmium in electrical and electronic equipment products since July 2006. The sale of nickel-cadmium batteries has now been banned within the European Union except for medical use; alarm systems; emergency lighting and portable power tools. This last category is to be reviewed after 4 years.

Cadmium, being a heavy metal, can cause substantial pollution when landfilled or incinerated. Because of this, many countries now operate recycling programs to capture and reprocess old NiCd batteries.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back