Baxi 105e and gas fire questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter is looking to buy a small 3 bedroom semi. It has a Baxi 105e boiler. We noticed that the living room only has a small radiator, as the present owner prefers to have her gas fire on at the same time. Would the boiler be big enough to up the size of the living room radiator to eliminate the need for the gas fire?

As a comparison, in my house we have a Baxi 105HE, which is adequate for a much larger area, 4 bedrooms plus extensions. Does the "105" indicate that they have the same output?

On another issue, the living room where the gas fire is situated has two small vents. From the outside they look like airbricks and have plastic grills on the inside. The present owner says they can be draughty at times but are needed because of the gas fire. Is this true? I have seen plenty of rooms with gas fires without vents.

Sponsored Links
The boiler is big enough for bigger rads, and is to be recommended.

Not ALL fires need a vent, but some do. Essentially, if the fire is over 7Kw, it defo needs a vent (assuming it is a chimney model). If it is under 7Kw and does need a vent, it will be a VERY inefficient type, as opposed to 80-92% efficient models currently available.

Try to get the seller to provide proof that the appliances, especially the fire, have been serviced and tested for safety. If they won't, and you buy the flat, then make sure the appliances are checked before use.:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20150955

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back