Baxi 105E Whistling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Baxi 105E Combi boiler - 2 years old. Whenever the heating comes on, after a few minutes it begins to whistle, the noise is coming from the 3 way valve and it stops immediately as soon as you run a hot tap. Another symptom is that when you close the hot tap, there is a creaking noise then a light clunk from the boiler - this happens when and only when the heating is on. It started intermittently last winter but happens all the time now. The noise is piercing and getting louder as time passes. I read the previous entries in the forum and changed the washers on the wall jig connections ( the old washers were fibre the same as the new ones and showed no signs of incorrect fitting/damage). Also checked the washers & diaphragm in the 3 way valve and there's no splits/distortions.
Any ideas of how we can solve this problem

Sponsored Links
Put the radio on just lound enough so you cant hear it, works for people with tinnitus, orrrrrrrrrrrrr, get Baxi in to look at it, orrrrrrrrrrr, get a decent boiler.

Sounds like a restriction in the hydraulics. Now I'm not a baxipotterton man, and I don't suppliuy and fit them, but I don 't see any need for cheap shots at this boiler pvman. Afaik it's based on a good design is very popular for reasons of reliability in many areas (though in Scarborough Baxi have a very poor reputaion I'll grant you).

If the problem is in the diverter valve it's unlikely to be the fault of baxipotterton (or have they split up again into two companies with two independent service teams?) since most boilers would use a similar part with no significant differences, it could have happened to any one of them.

Maybe one of the hydraulic ways inside the dv needs cleaning out complete Removal ov dv to thooroughly inspect and clean all of hydraulics in and around it has to be the first port of call.

I will gra nt you p[v man that any hot water producing device which has diverter valve plate heat exchanger system would be doomed to extinction if we had our way, but manufactuirers seem OK with a little planned obsolescence so have persevered with this dinosaur method of producing hot water.

Thanks Paul, during the stripdown of the diverter valve it looked OK so I'll investigate the ajoining pipework.

Is PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN typical of the assistance we can expect from the Forum or does he provide the entertainment?

StuartS

Sponsored Links
Oh he's OK it's just his sense of humour. He knows the right stuff but often prefers to take the easier route of tongue in cheek, which keeps all us prefessionals amused, but could easily be misinterpreted by you guys. I'm often of the same mind but I'm less subtle with my tongue in cynicism.

StuartS..it is almost certainly the diverter. Baxi know about it. They will probably deny it though, try ringing them and see what they say. They used to send out there guys with a service kit to sort it (wrong type of "o" rings apparantly)they change the whole valve now cos its easier.
I have changed a couple in the past and it sorted it. (on one of them you could hear it 2 houses away)

yes it is a common problem with the O'rings inside the 3 way valve which you have to take out and dismantle to get to them all 3 in all :confused:

the old O'rings were green ones and seemed to react to certain types of inhibitor by expanding after a while and not shutting the valve off totally and the noise is the water seeping past :confused: the new o'rings are black with a blue band or you could change the whole valve upto you :rolleyes:

good luck ;) Gaz

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back