Baxi 51/5 (no heating or hot water)

azim said:
Could you indicate how i do this using the picture provided below .
Please remember , i need a idiots guide to adjusting & checking proceedure

Job for an RGI (Corgi) I'm afraid.

Sponsored Links
What should i be looking to pay someone to the adjustments necessary ??

What does it look like to be the likely fault ??

Ive been qouted over the phone by Baxi themselves wait for it....... £279 .Thats over the phone ,without any inspection ,

azim said:
Ive been qouted over the phone by Baxi themselves wait for it....... £279 .Thats over the phone ,without any inspection ,

Is the boiler more than three years old?

The serial number appears to be MDT0351, can you confirm this?

Yes that is correct .

Ive been in this house for 18 months , the original owner said the central heating is recently fitted .

I dont think it is personally (maybe 5yrs old or more).

Noted that the gas pressure screw seems to be all the way in (clockwise in)

Sponsored Links
Baxi give three years warranty on this boiler

Your boiler was manufactured late December 2003!
Making it just over 3½ years old

What is the serial number on the fire front?

P.S. unless your a competent gas fitter do not adjust or 'mess about' with the gas governor (gas pressure screw).

baxpoti said:
The boiler is fitted with two diagnostic indicator lights that indicate the status of the boiler. The high rate LED (yellow) can be seen through the top of the control box. The indicator LED can be seen through the front. Their sequence of operation is as follows:-

a) No power-no lights.
b) Switched live supplied indicator LED - orange.
c) Pilot established indicator LED - green.
d) Boiler fault - indicator LED red or flashing red.
e) Boiler firing at maximum rate - high rate LED - yellow.
f) Diagnostic indicator - high rate LED flashing yellow.

If the indicator LED light is illuminated red/or flashing red, it is necessary to reset the appliance. To do this turn the boiler thermostat control knob fully anti-clockwise to the OFF position and wait until the light shows
orange. Turn the control knob clockwise to the required setting. The boiler will commence the ignition sequence.

Operate the burner, this will run at low rate (This is factory set and no adjustment is necessary). Make further checks for leaks. Press and release the rate switch on the front of the control box. The high rate LED should illuminate yellow and the boiler fire at high rate (NOTE: The boiler will only run at high rate if the boiler temperature is less than 70 °C.

Check the burner setting pressure, adjusting if necessary, this has to be done while the LED is illuminated. This is done by removing the governor cover screw and adjusting the governor in either direction as required:- clockwise to increase, anticlockwise to decrease.

Bit of a contradition then Baxpoti?

David

Soggy_weetabix said:
Bit of a contradition then Baxpoti?

David

No contradiction just an extract from the M.I. freely available on the web.

The OP has checked/tightened the dust cap of the governor, he is therefore incompetent (in my opinion) as to how to set the gas pressure, I have advised him to use an rgi.

azim
If you can prove the boiler was installed less than three years ago, call Baxi and demand a warranty call. Do not attempt to adjust the gas pressure unless you are competent to do so.

I did not tighten the screw , just noted that it was screwed in to what seems to be the max pressure position according to the info supplied (thought the info might help someone deduce my problem).
At no point did i claim to know how to set the gas pressure or was a expert in boiler maintanance .
Im a multi skilled maintanance electrician , with good mechanaical knowledge .Not a total novice with out a clue .
All i need is good advice so that i can head in the right direction so as to protect myself from being ripped off .

The boiler fired up this morning after i removed the thermcouple was removed from the front of the boiler .
This was refitted after 15 mins & the boiler did not lockout.

I have switched the CH & hot water on & off over a couple of hours & everthing is working fine for the moment .

What should i do know ??

Still call Baxi or British gas who fitted the boiler ??

Anybody got any idea what might be the fault ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back