Baxi Combi 105e no central heating ?

He came out not call out fee , advised the fault and told me to order the board and he would fit it for £30 . But after looking at it closley didnt look like rocket science to take out the old one and replace the new one so I ended up doing it meself . If he had said it was the Diverter Valve I would have gladley let him do the job ...I used to build computers so PCB's to me are straight forward .

Sponsored Links
nah ...just good old geordie hospitality :LOL: ..Not every ones a cowboy !
besides isn't DIYnot a place where you would find free advise from Engineers too ?

Yeah, but I come on here in my free time coz I enjoy helping people out, where I can, and conversing with my fellow gas-types. It doesn't cost me any 'work' time or petrol etc. And mostly it's advice as to what the problem could be, not how to fix it that's given on here when it comes to boilers, due to the nature of gas-related work, and people are generally directed to get someone in. I choose to come on here. If that RGI knew that, after confirming the fault, he wouldn't get to chargably fix it, I doubt very much he would've chosen to come out to you. And I don't think there's anything 'cowboy' about that. It's an RGI's knowledge that you pay for. Anyone can wield a screwdriver/spanner. It's knowing what to do with it.

But, anyway, you've fixed your problem so all's good.

Sponsored Links
Like I said I called the guy out , he came out no call out fee , he basically told ME to order the part ! which I did find strange , then he said he'd install it for £30 and to let him know if I needed him to install it , he basically was passing through (this was after 7 pm ) and he and his apprentice did seem in a hurry , apparantly on his way to Portsmouth to do a job at a mariner by the pier which he said would be a days work for £1 k ...good for him I thought , perhaps he just wanted to get away I don't know ,but what I do know is you don't need to be a "Registered Gas Installer" to replace a PCB .....I know not all engineers are cowboys perhaps that was a bad choice of wording , not every one is a fourthcoming in free info , If he said to me he could get the part and fit it for £130 I would have probably said yes ..

Before this engineer came to visit, you had already consulted three engineers, presumably by telephone to ask for advice on what was wrong.

You had also posted here as well to ask what was wrong. We choose to give some free advice as a form of relaxation and whilst watching TV or having a meal or drink not as solely dedicated time. Thats our choice but we incur no expenses and it does not take up any of our working day.

I have to conclude that you always hoped to repair it yourself without incuring any engineers fees. Taking advice here is fine as its freely given.

I would wonder if the three engineers you telephoned were that happy to give free advice. When I answer calls then I assume they are potential customers and if I find they are out of area then I am less helpful.

One Sunday afternoon I was called by someone in our area who said that he has seen my postings here. It quickly because clear that he did not want us to fix his boiler for him but was just looking for advice. He told me that he had expected I would give a free telephone diagnostic service ( including during the weekends! ).

I do have to say I dont approve of anyone taking advantage of an engineer who attends and diagnoses a fault particularly when not even offering a payment for the service he provided. No gas engineer I know would ever fit a gas valve, which is a one hour job, for just £30.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back