Baxi 80e Combi Boiler. Leaking Pressure Gauge

Sponsored Links
And what was the total cost?

£60. I'm guessing he would have charged £80 if the gauge was brand new and he hadn't replaced the HW sensor free of charge. Plus the fact he likes my cups of tea may have knocked a couple of quid off :)

Last edited:
This is an open forum and if you are honest with what information you want to receive then there are many very experienced professionals on here that will happily guide you in the right direction as long as it does not mean compromising safety and there is a lot of advice which they cant legally give you so just be careful and ask what you need to know and dont get confrontational and you will receive the advice that the site was designed to provide

Agreed, mate. I just took a verbal beating and so retaliated. I'm thick skinned and give as good as I get. Anyways, it's always healthy to have a bit of banter. I apologise if I offended or upset you. I appreciate and respect others' knowledge in fields I don't quite understand, that's why I came here and posted my question.

Boiler guy came and fixed the problem, so all good now (y)
You never at any time offended or upset me mate, I work in peoples homes takes a lot more than lines on an internet forum to upset me

Glad to hear it (y)

you see mate we are all not robbing bars-rds , you got a gem their so keep his number in your phone for future . can u see now why we got arssey . you got that done cheap and he was honest . treat them good and they will do the same . all you have to do now is change that boiler ( only joking )

Sponsored Links
you see mate we are all not robbing bars-rds , you got a gem their so keep his number in your phone for future . can u see now why we got arssey . you got that done cheap and he was honest . treat them good and they will do the same . all you have to do now is change that boiler ( only joking )

Yeah, I will do. He's old school and a good bloke. Was a nice touch that he charged me a decent price, too. I completely understand why some of you got arsey, it didn't help that I was not in a great mood that day and the fact that I had no CH or hot water and the fact of knowing I had to outlay more money just made it worse. I can be an arsey git at times. You aint a bad lot, you GSI's (y) :D

If you ever want your drive doing, it will be £900+VAT, thankyouverymuch ;)

Sound, book me in! Need a 3 car block paved driveway ripping up and extending to accept 4 cars. Total of about 90m2 to include a porch area, back garden path and waste gulleys replacing. Hardcore to required depths across all. Price to include all ground works, materials and labour. Will need to see a copy of your PLI before you start and your VAT certificate or number seeing as you are charging me VAT which without the number would be highly illegal.

When can you start and how long will the materials and workmanship be guaranteed for?

I must say that I am highly impressed with your blanket pricing ability regardless of seeing a job or the location. Your previous business must have been a massive success to be able to loose money on some jobs and make on others. The fact that you don't even care about the basic concepts of running a profitable business and can now work for £60 a day while still paying all your overheads, bills and turning a profit is certainly a testament to your business acumen. Well done Sir, please enroll me on your business course.

Jon

If you ever want your drive doing, it will be £900+VAT, thankyouverymuch ;)

Sound, book me in! Need a 3 car block paved driveway ripping up and extending to accept 4 cars. Total of about 90m2 to include a porch area, back garden path and waste gulleys replacing. Hardcore to required depths across all. Price to include all ground works, materials and labour. Will need to see a copy of your PLI before you start and your VAT certificate or number seeing as you are charging me VAT which without the number would be highly illegal.

When can you start and how long will the materials and workmanship be guaranteed for?

I must say that I am highly impressed with your blanket pricing ability regardless of seeing a job or the location. Your previous business must have been a massive success to be able to loose money on some jobs and make on others. The fact that you don't even care about the basic concepts of running a profitable business and can now work for £60 a day while still paying all your overheads, bills and turning a profit is certainly a testament to your business acumen. Well done Sir, please enroll me on your business course.

Jon

What the hell are you on about? That was a private joke between AGAS and myself. I am not and have never been self employed. I'm doing a job for a friend, that is all. There aint half some strange people on here.

I am a local plumber/boiler man (as are many here) and if you think we charge the earth to do our job... Why 'on earth' do you think we'd tell you how to do it, for free???

See... It didn't cost the earth did it... Just a few molecules of it! :sneaky:

And, no. It wasn't "grumpy Saturday"! The best people to get practical advice from on here, are the tradesmen and it's usually a good idea to refrain from 'biting the hand that feeds you' as you sort of did, a bit, in your OP, which is why you were met with sharp tongues :cautious::)

Just imagine walking into your local plumbing and heating trade counter; with a few of the regulars present; enjoying a cuppa and a natter with the shop owner and announcing: "right, which of you, money-grabbing barstewards, can tell me what's wrong with my boiler, how I can fix it myself, and what parts I need, for free?"...

I hope you left the door open when you went in :eek:

:D:D:D

I am a local plumber/boiler man (as are many here) and if you think we charge the earth to do our job... Why 'on earth' do you think we'd tell you how to do it, for free???

See... It didn't cost the earth did it... Just a few molecules of it! :sneaky:

And, no. It wasn't "grumpy Saturday"! The best people to get practical advice from on here, are the tradesmen and it's usually a good idea to refrain from 'biting the hand that feeds you' as you sort of did, a bit, in your OP, which is why you were met with sharp tongues :cautious::)

Just imagine walking into your local plumbing and heating trade counter; with a few of the regulars present; enjoying a cuppa and a natter with the shop owner and announcing: "right, which of you, money-grabbing barstewards, can tell me what's wrong with my boiler, how I can fix it myself, and what parts I need, for free?"...

I hope you left the door open when you went in :eek:

:D:D:D

I doff my cap to you, sir. I completely agree with what you've said and totally admit I came in with all guns blazing, which is not my usual way. An already bad day, no CH or HW and the fact I was looking at spending money that I haven't really got all added up to me being a bit fiery and a bit of a tw*t. I hold my hands up ;)

I have the utmost respect for any tradesemen who has a knowledge of something as intimidating as a combi boiler. Plumbing, I'm good at, boilers, not so much :)

So you have done 5 days work for £300,minus materials!!!!! You must be having a giraffe.I would of charged you about £70 to replace the £13 gauge.If you think that is a fortune then heaven help us all in this industry.

Competent in the eyes of gas safe means you have taken the approved courses somewhere,passed the tests,picked up necessary experience,paid your gas safe membership,learned how to use a FGA for £250,purchased a one etc.Taken out public liability insurance etc.Competent does not mean you are handy with spanners and hand tools and think you can do the job safely.
If you drop a *******,flood a property or heaven forebid,cause a gas explosion,you will be up to your armpits in it,in this litigious world of ours.

So you have done 5 days work for £300,minus materials!!!!! You must be having a giraffe.I would of charged you about £70 to replace the £13 gauge.If you think that is a fortune then heaven help us all in this industry.

No, it's less than £300 actually.

Right, it's obvious that some people don't have the intelligence to read something and come to the correct conclusion.

Let me reiterate for you. I am doing some work for a very good friend of mine. I would not charge him my usual hourly/daily/weekly rate, as he is...a friend. I am not self employed, never have been. I don't own a business, I never have done. I am doing this job to make a bit of money and not making what I normally would as, let me say it again, I'm working for a friend at mates rates.

Fair play to you lot that have your gas fitting quals etc etc, I wish I had gone for them when I was younger.

I lost my job last year and have been doing various odd jobs to make a meagre living. I don't claim any benefits and am just getting by after being shafted by my last three or four employees, of which two still owe me money.

I'm sure the £70 that you would have charged me would have been adequate. I didn't know how much I was going to be charged and if there was a more serious underlying problem with the boiler, resulting in a high cost to fix it. Hence, my worry of getting ripped off or charged money that I don't frankly have. Not every tradesman is honest, I've worked for them and been shafted by them, as I'm sure we've all been shafted by someone in the past. Watch the TV, it's full of rogue traders, crap builders, electricians, plumbers etc etc etc. The list goes on. I'm sure you've come across them yourself.

The majority of people work for the national minimum wage or, if they're lucky, maybe a bit more. That goes for unskilled workers just as much as it does for skilled workers. Not many people can charge £50 call out fees and £50 per every hour after. This is what I meant in one of my earlier posts when I said that it annoys me when skilled workers/tradesmen complain when they have no big jobs on. Everyone has to pay bills and costs, regardless of what they earn. I agree with you regards the charges you have to pay out for certification and updated regs etc, but everyone pays their dues in some form or other. Try jacking your job in and go and work at B&Q for minimum wage, if you're lucky you may get more than 15 hours per week, which includes evenings and weekends.

Last edited:
Competent in the eyes of gas safe means you have taken the approved courses somewhere,passed the tests,picked up necessary experience,paid your gas safe membership,learned how to use a FGA for £250,purchased a one etc.Taken out public liability insurance etc.Competent does not mean you are handy with spanners and hand tools and think you can do the job safely.
If you drop a *******,flood a property or heaven forebid,cause a gas explosion,you will be up to your armpits in it,in this litigious world of ours.

Agreed! I have many friends who had their business go bump due to costs of this, that and the other. At least you picked a good trade, people are always going to need hot water and heat.

Last edited:
what job are u doing for your mate ? could you routinely do your job at mates rates and make a living running a business ? how do you know you have done a better job than the £900 guy ?you could be very bias about your ability . i could go on . if your that paranoid about the price you will have to pay ( which won't cost as much as you think , as long as your not a tight tw-t, considering safety ) get a price before he starts . but don't f-ck him around for such a small job he has got overheads for which i don't think your considering when doing your mates rates . you never know you might get an rgi you trust and have years to come , we are not all conning fookers . we hear that comment almost daily and you wonder why these good people here are not helping you .

I'm weeding and putting weedkiller down on my mates drive, pressure washing, cleaning, repairing and refinishing. It's a big drive. It's taken me 4 days and maybe another day to finish it off. I know I've done a good job as that's what I used to do. It's not a difficult job to do well if you know what you're doing and take your time. It's not rocket science and I know my work is of a high standard as it's better than most jobs I see that charge ridiculous amounts.

The guy next door has just had a new house built. The brickwork is crap, the driveway is crap and the house went on the market for £220,000. The drive alone cost £4000 and it's a bodge job, I could have and have done better. I know what is good quality or not, regardless of whether or not I know how to do something.

What has being a small job got to do with anything? If something needs fixing and it costs £20 or £200, it still needs fixing and is money in a guys hand. I'm fed up of GSI's complaining about having no big jobs on and only doing minor repairs or safety checks/services. Money is money, after all.

What price would you say it's going to cost me then, seeing as you have such an opinion?
From weed killer to fixing a leaking boiler. .

what job are u doing for your mate ? could you routinely do your job at mates rates and make a living running a business ? how do you know you have done a better job than the £900 guy ?you could be very bias about your ability . i could go on . if your that paranoid about the price you will have to pay ( which won't cost as much as you think , as long as your not a tight tw-t, considering safety ) get a price before he starts . but don't f-ck him around for such a small job he has got overheads for which i don't think your considering when doing your mates rates . you never know you might get an rgi you trust and have years to come , we are not all conning fookers . we hear that comment almost daily and you wonder why these good people here are not helping you .

I'm weeding and putting weedkiller down on my mates drive, pressure washing, cleaning, repairing and refinishing. It's a big drive. It's taken me 4 days and maybe another day to finish it off. I know I've done a good job as that's what I used to do. It's not a difficult job to do well if you know what you're doing and take your time. It's not rocket science and I know my work is of a high standard as it's better than most jobs I see that charge ridiculous amounts.

The guy next door has just had a new house built. The brickwork is crap, the driveway is crap and the house went on the market for £220,000. The drive alone cost £4000 and it's a bodge job, I could have and have done better. I know what is good quality or not, regardless of whether or not I know how to do something.

What has being a small job got to do with anything? If something needs fixing and it costs £20 or £200, it still needs fixing and is money in a guys hand. I'm fed up of GSI's complaining about having no big jobs on and only doing minor repairs or safety checks/services. Money is money, after all.

What price would you say it's going to cost me then, seeing as you have such an opinion?
From weed killer to fixing a leaking boiler. .

Your sarcasm is wasted.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back