Baxi 80e Combi Boiler. Leaking Pressure Gauge

Must be a full moon. Posts like this one are coming thick and fast

Moon perhaps defecting suggestive text? Know Ian can write AND can repair boilers too. Meanwhile strong lunar Gravity around Stone has effected what is known as humbleness and gratitude

Arse licking much? I also don't appreciate you disclosing my location, I don't know how you know, but that is a breach of privacy.

On a positive note, boiler guy is coming round tomorrow afternoon, so AGAS will be happy (y);)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'm doing some work for a friend at his house and am working for 'mates rates'. One job I'm doing he was quoted £900 for, which is laughable. I have almost finished the job and it is of a high quality, as good as or even better than the person who quoted him £900.

When I have finished said job, it will have cost him around £300, a third of the price he was quoted. Even if it wasn't at 'mates rates', there is no way I would have had the audacity to ask for anywhere near £900 to do that job as it would have been offensive and downright cheeky to ask for any more than £400-500. See my point?

But when you have finished the job will you have public liability insurance?

Will you have paid the VAT on the job?

Will you have included the £300 in your annual income for tax purposes?

Sponsored Links
OK, fair point. Tell me, you know the diagnosis and the problem, how much would you charge to supply the part and do the repair and I'll tell you if I think that it is overpriced or not.

In my local area, I would charge £97 based on your quoted part price.

That would include a basic check of the boiler including the gas valve settings.

Tony

Moon perhaps defecting suggestive text? Know Ian can write AND can repair boilers too. Meanwhile strong lunar Gravity around Stone has effected what is known as humbleness and gratitude

Arse licking much? I also don't appreciate you disclosing my location, I don't know how you know, but that is a breach of privacy.

On a positive note, boiler guy is coming round tomorrow afternoon, so AGAS will be happy (y);)

C you next Tuesday

I'm doing some work for a friend at his house and am working for 'mates rates'. One job I'm doing he was quoted £900 for, which is laughable. I have almost finished the job and it is of a high quality, as good as or even better than the person who quoted him £900.

When I have finished said job, it will have cost him around £300, a third of the price he was quoted. Even if it wasn't at 'mates rates', there is no way I would have had the audacity to ask for anywhere near £900 to do that job as it would have been offensive and downright cheeky to ask for any more than £400-500. See my point?

But when you have finished the job will you have public liability insurance?

Will you have paid the VAT on the job?

Will you have included the £300 in your annual income for tax purposes?

No to all of the above.

I couldn't afford to pay any outgoings/overheads as the job would be of no benefit to me and I would have had to charge more. I've never worked fully self employed, so point taken. If others had explained these things instead of creating hostility then that would have been a better outcome.

I didn't mean to offend anyone with my OP, I was just looking for some advice. At least we had good banter :)

OK, fair point. Tell me, you know the diagnosis and the problem, how much would you charge to supply the part and do the repair and I'll tell you if I think that it is overpriced or not.

In my local area, I would charge £97 based on your quoted part price.

That would include a basic check of the boiler including the gas valve settings.

Tony

Cheers, Tony. That's the information I was looking for.

C you next Tuesday

LOL!

This is an open forum and if you are honest with what information you want to receive then there are many very experienced professionals on here that will happily guide you in the right direction as long as it does not mean compromising safety and there is a lot of advice which they cant legally give you so just be careful and ask what you need to know and dont get confrontational and you will receive the advice that the site was designed to provide

This is an open forum and if you are honest with what information you want to receive then there are many very experienced professionals on here that will happily guide you in the right direction as long as it does not mean compromising safety and there is a lot of advice which they cant legally give you so just be careful and ask what you need to know and dont get confrontational and you will receive the advice that the site was designed to provide

Agreed, mate. I just took a verbal beating and so retaliated. I'm thick skinned and give as good as I get. Anyways, it's always healthy to have a bit of banter. I apologise if I offended or upset you. I appreciate and respect others' knowledge in fields I don't quite understand, that's why I came here and posted my question.

Boiler guy came and fixed the problem, so all good now (y)

Agreed, mate. I just took a verbal beating and so retaliated. I'm thick skinned and give as good as I get. Anyways, it's always healthy to have a bit of banter. I apologise if I offended or upset you. I appreciate and respect others' knowledge in fields I don't quite understand, that's why I came here and posted my question.

so what was the actuall problem ?

You never at any time offended or upset me mate, I work in peoples homes takes a lot more than lines on an internet forum to upset me

so what was the actuall problem ?

The pressure gauge was shot and leaking. It had been playing up for a while and giving random high and low pressure readings from anywhere between 0.6-1.2 bar, but would never go any higher than 1.2 bar when the heating GCH or HW was running. Then a few weeks ago the HW temp sensor gave up which showed a fault on the boiler panel. Boiler guy came and replaced the temp sensor a few weeks ago and all was fine. Then a few days ago the pressure gauge started leaking, then dripping water, then the gauge was misting up and filling with water. He changed the gauge for one he'd taken off a decommisioned boiler and also replaced the HW sensor. All working fine now. He didn't charge me for the new HW sensor and seeing as the gauge was not brand spanking new, he didn't charge me full price. All in all he charged me £60 which I thought was a decent amount.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back