Baxi 80Eco keeps lighting and stopping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I did do a search first, found a post with the same problem, but the solution was never posted.

I have a Baxi 80Eco, old, but works well and I'm told easy to work on and spares available at a reasonable price, so not keen to put in a new one just for the sake of it.

At the beginning of April, it developed a fault on the heating side (hot water is fine).

It lights (when heat is requested by the thermostat) then after 2-3 seconds, it goes out. Then immediately it lights again.
This cycle continues, sometimes just for a couple of minutes, then it stays alight and heats fine, some times it continues the cycle until the thermostat eventually doesn't call for heat.

In April, BG came out 3 times to it, and eventually replaced the gas valve, and it seemed fine. (Obviously it hasn't been on much since then)
About three weeks ago, it started doing the same thing, the first engineer (BG, as it is on HomeCare) was puzzled and ordered a main board. The second engineer replaced the main board, but it did not help, and he ordered another gas valve.
On his third visit, he fitted the gas valve, set the boiler up, and it was fine. For three days.

He fitted the gas valve last Saturday, and it started playing up again on Wednesday.

I am not looking for comments on the engineers, things like this can happen, but I find it hard to believe that no-one has come across this before, and I'm hoping some one here has seen the fault in the past.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would be asking BG to look at APS and venturi, not something you can do yourself Im afraid

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Would either cause problems on heat but not on hot water?
The LED lights on your boiler front panel have a dual purpose, when the boiler is woring properly they sho what the temp is inside the boiler, when a fault develops they show you a fault code, when the boiler cuts out are any of the lights illuminated ?

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
The LED lights on your boiler front panel have a dual purpose, when the boiler is woring properly they sho what the temp is inside the boiler, when a fault develops they show you a fault code, when the boiler cuts out are any of the lights illuminated ?

After your first post, I changed the model number, it is an Eco, not an E so it only has the three lights..

It restarts straight away, the flame light goes on and off roughly with the flame.

it is an Eco, not an E
Not too many differeances to be honest, the older display would possibly have been more helpfull, afraid I would have to be in front of it to give you a definive answer, but an easy boiler to fault find on, just get BG back, could be a few things but all parts still available

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back