Baxi Back Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a 20 year Baxi Brazillia Back Boiler and fire front, which I wish to upgrade. Contacted a local Central Heating Engineer who told me I can't have a new back boiler as the government require me to have a condensing boiler. If that is the case why do Baxi still sell back boilers. Is this someone who is trying to rip me off using government rules as an excuse. Would be difficulty to have boiler anywhere else as this is the only place in house where gas is supplied.

Any views?

Sponsored Links
Well its true the government wants you to have an efficient boiler, and so does British gas but they dont (im sure) "require" you to replace a working system with a new system.

Sponsored Links
sidecar_john Wrote:

Well its true the government wants you to have an efficient boiler, and so does British gas but they dont (im sure) "require" you to replace a working system with a new system.

Did you read the original post.

He said he wished to upgrade so why the rant about BG??

id did read it and BG told me, they dont install back boilers anymore only the lattest standard combi boilers...so one cant (with them) have anew back boiler and they seem to me to get confused wether they are a company or still a monopoly...just my opinion based on my own rather confuseing experiences.

I think you are confused as anyone who is following the building regulations guidelines will tell you that when upgrading a system you need to do as much as possible to make the system as efficient as possible :confused: but unfortunately in some circumstances it is impossible to fit condensing boilers and a back boiler would be the only answer but an upgrade to fully pumped system with trv's etc would be a minimum ;)

Shropsmart...what the guy you have had round is telling you sounds correct. Boilers must meet certain efficiency standards these days and back boilers don't meet these standards.
However back boilers can still be fit if it can be shown that it would not be possible to fit a high effiency boiler.
It works on a points system. Ask your corgi guy he should know.
The fact that its the only place in the house with a gas supply currently installed is not enough to get out of it.

Well the Corgi Guy came today (took me ages to get someone to respond), he has given existing boiler (Baxi Bermuda 551) and fire a full service and said it has plenty of life in it yet and suggested keeping as long as I can, as I am now thinking of moving. He has suggested replacing gas valve as this is causing the "roaring" noise I am getting from time to time. He was very efficient so I will be keeping his number for future reference.

All, thanks for the advice much appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back