Baxi Barcelona Lockout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'll throw my $0.02 in as well.
I've got a 100HE, installed last October. Around a month ago (just outside of the warranty) it started intermittently locking out. About once every two or three days. It's now down to locking out about every 3-4 hours and today it's decided not to restart either. Took about 3 hours this morning to get the bloody thing going.
It was suggested that the condenser trap was blocked, which I think originally it may've been. But now the only way I can seem to get it going is to open the condenser trap and drain any water then unscrew the condenser drain pipe and suck some water out of there. If I'm lucky it might start again in an hour or so .... not a happy bunny :evil:
I have to wait until 7th of Jan for the engineer who installed it to come and service/repair it.

Sponsored Links
I own a Baxi Barcelona and my bother purchased a Baxi 100 HE two months after me. I have had intermittment lock out problems and was told to clear the condensate trap (yellow plug under bottom right hand side of boiler) I got a lot of what looked liked black/grey silt or very fine sand out and about 1 cup of water, so place a jug under there when you are emptying it! This seemed to do the trick and I left mine at that.

This last week my brothers kept locking out and with 1 second flashing red led. Apparently it had started doing it more and more frequenly over the last 5 days, and would now lockout after only 20 minutes running.

He however had a detailed installation and comminsioning manual for his (one thing I never got with the Barcelona, the 100HE is mechanically the same but the electronic PCB in his is slightly different, get the 100HE commissioning guide from the baxi website under literature, www. baxi.co.uk) and on following the fault finding flow chart for this fault, it suggests that either of the thermostats (little black buttons with two electrical connections on them) or the thermistor (little red button) was at fault. I tested these and they seemed to be OK. We replace all three anyway, and still it would lockout after 20 minutes running.

To cut a long story short, it turned out to be the fan thermostat was actually getting too HOT and doing it's job correctly and locking out. The reason for the build up of heat in the air box was because the combustion box door seal had disintergrated in one corner allowing the very hot air into the air chamber, causing the safety themostat to trip. When we looked at the combustion door seal about 7cm in one corner was missing and the seal left in that area was crumbly and hard (not soft and spongy like the rest of the seal).

We bought a replacement seal kit and fitted it (cost about £5) and noticed that when fitting the seal in the bad corner, the original seal had been fitted about 4mm out of place allowing the hot air to escape and over time distroy the seal. (we could tell by the 'tide' mark of the old seal versus the marks from the combustion box that it had been fitted incorrectly.

The guide does not mention this could be a fault, just that you should take care to examine this seal as part of the annual service. We also serviced the boiler as per the instructions and even though it is 2 years old, it was very clean and only needed a small amount of hoovering. We did however, remove and clean the condensate trap as this had a good 3cm of slit in the bottom.

One thing we also noticed in the manual was that the boiler is supplied to only give a max heat ouptut of 75k BTU and if you want the full 100K BTU you have to remove the jumpers on the PCB. We have quite large houses with under floor heating and have know removed the jumpers and are getting much quicker cylinder heat up times.

Hope some of the above information helps, you with your problems. I am not a heating engineer, but with the installtion manual it took all of 1 hr to strip the boiler and give everything a clean and find the faults. So far then, I would buy another one if I needed to as ours run alot of the day, I have the Gas bills to prove it!!

Ian... thanks for an in-depth posting.

I have had 3 seals on my Barcelona (rebadged as the 100HE)... all have blown bottom left and caused lockouts.

One question... how noisy is your boiler? Does it sound like a turbine when it ramps up or can't you really hear it?

Cheers, Tim

Just a quick tuppence on the howling noticed by some people.
It was only when the plastic venturi on the fan was replaced on my boiler that the howling stopped.
Come to think of it, it was different to the old one which would suggest that Baxi have modified them in response to this problem.

Sponsored Links
My Baxi Barcelona is also extremely noisy for the first 15 minutes or so on start up.

Another problem started since the control PCB was changed, the boiler starts up Ok (but noisy), but when the water gets to the required temp the flame goes out and then relights every 3min or so. Each time it switches off immediately, this continues until either the room stat turns the boiler off or the water temp reduces and the boiler stays on.

I've spoken to Baxi and they tell me this is correct - the boiler lights and only then senses the water temp. This makes no sense to me and I'm sure it didn't happen with the original PCB. Incidentally the new PCB doesn't have the jumper for 100,000Btu's. So mine is probably running at 100,000 on start-up making the noise worse.

Does anyone else have the PCB without the jumpers and the repeated starting?

my tuppence worth, had a "few" probs with our combi, not same as yours and bg enginner told me that gas flame modulates as once it is over the initial cold period it no longer needs to be as high.

perhaps your new pcb is doing what ours always has done, then again in may be flower food from baxi

"Plastic venturi"... plz expand as I'm not sure what this is... I'd like to check mine out.

"Relight every 3mins then go straight out"... yep, mine too! Bl**dy annoying isn't it! Can't be doing the ignition electrodes much good!

Tim,

In answer to your question about noise. Mine is relatively quite, you can hear the burner when it's on, but nothing excessive. I do get a bit of a 'clang' when it first starts up after about 15 seconds, but I think this is just some panel or other expanding with the heat and deforming slightly. This only happens once on start up. My brothers is the same as mine quite quiet really.

When we removed the PCB jumpers on my brothers, you can now hear the turbine drive faster, but still not excessive.

One question I have for any one though is ref the difference in PCB types between my Barcelona and my brothers 100HE - Namely his has jumpers 1,2 and 3, and removing them increases the heat output to 100K BTU. My Barcelona only has jumpers 1 and 2 with a space for 3 and 4. I have searched for an installation and commissioning guide for the Barcelona to try and understand the differences with no luck.

I have removed the 2 jumpers from my PCB with no noticeable increase in power output, have I done the right thing???

Does anyone have or know the whereabouts on the net of an installation/commissioning manual for the Barcelona??

All help appreciated.

Ian.

Ian,

According to the Barcelona manual there should only be 2 jumpers, which when removed give 100,000Btu/h. The 100HE has the additional jumpers for a thermal store.

This doesn't explain why my Barcelona doesn't have any jumpers !!!
PCB Part No 241837.

I got both the User and Installation Manuals by calling Baxi, although that was 2yrs ago. But still worth a call. I have the User manual on PDF if that's any use ?

Bill
The plastic venturi is the cone shaped inlet to the fan. The gas pipe from the valve enters the top.
My boiler made an incredible trumpeting sound from the vent, on startup, until this part was changed.
Cheers.

Christmas day my HE100 gave up. So although draining the condensate trap might've helped a different problem it seems something else was causing the lock outs.
Anyway after a cold christmas and new year, the engineer came to service and repair mine. He replaced the PCB and it fired up straight away and is now running fine.
What a luxury running hot water and central heating is :D

After suffering similar problems to others it is such a relief to read about everyone elses lockouts !!

I have a Baxi Bercelona that I installed shortly after they had been released and true to form it worked like a dream for close to two years. Then guess what Ignition lockouts started to occur and it was fault finding time.

In the end my investigations were helped by total failure of the fuse on the ignition board which helped me isolate the fault to the board and so after a replacement was installed all was fine.

Well that was until this week when it has started to happen again which is around 18 months since the new board was installed and I am trying to trace the problem again.

One very useful hint I have just read is an article at http://www.acv-uk.com/images/pdfs/HPM-October2003.pdf which is about the new Potterton Promax which is based upon the Barcelona.

In the article their are some references out to the teething problems the Barcelona has faced and a response is in their from Alec Scott the marketing manager of Baxi.

Looks like Baxi has had supplier problems with the manufacture of their pcbs's and would explain the poor life of the ignition board in mine. Doesn't help me if it is that again though however fingers crossed if it is a known problem there may be some new pcbs out there which are more reliable.

Hope that helps anyone else expierencing similar problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back