Baxi Bermuda 401 'Popping'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just had the boiler (Baxi Bermuda 401) on for central heating and my girlfriend sitting in the living rooms says it made two small popping noises after it'd been around 10 minutes. The boiler appears to be operating normally, ie blue flame, pilot lit as normal and cycling itself on and off according to demand from the radiators, any thoughts on what might have made it pop? It hasn't made any noises since or any that I've noticed before so I don't know if these may hae just been expansion as the boiler has been off all day and it's been quite cold up here.

EDIT: Also, it has been quite windy today in case that's causing a vacuum in the chimney? Looking under the boiler there's a little bit of dirt but not very much and I don't know if this is anything to do with the popping - we've had it on again and, so far, it hasn't made any more odd noises.

Thank you! David

Sponsored Links
Popping can be caused in first 15 mins of operation due to condensation forming in flue then dripping down onto hot surface

First time i heard this noise, Found that the burner had small cracks round the burner jets , so you could check the burner holes for wear and tear ,

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies, I wouldn't touch the boiler as I know nothing about gas apart from you cook with it and use it to get warm - and it's best to leave to the professionals! When I get it serviced I'll mention it and get the burners checked. Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back