Baxi Bermuda 552 and 57/4M

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, i currently have a Baxi Bermuda 552 Back boiler with a radiant fire front. The boiler needs changing because when i had it serviced it was noticed that the part where the flame is contained had some of the holes rusty and falling apart. I have been offered a 57/4M back boiler with a GF3 fire front which is 8 years old.

1)Is the boiler quite easy to change (by a Corgi fitter)

2)How much would it cost to remove the old boiler and replace it with the other one.

3)Can i just replace the part of the 552 boiler that is corroded and is this difficult and costly. (This part is half round i think with many hole in it and when the boiler fires up you can see the flames in it). Sorry if my description is a bit vague.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Unless you live in a flat which has been exempted under the points system, in England it is not legal to swap your BBU for another one. You can get the existing one repaired though.

You can still fit a BBU/Fire in the UK as BBU/Fires are still a grey area and can be exempt from the new building regs...

Consult your local CORGI guy....

I never advise fitting a second-hand appliance and would not personally ever fit one... But that is obviously upto your CORGI guy.

GeckoGas-com said:
You can still fit a BBU/Fire in the UK as BBU/Fires are still a grey area and can be exempt from the new building regs...

How & why is it a grey area? can you point me towards an official government document that exempts BBUs under part "L"?

Edit: The reason I ask is that I was told specifically by Corgi that this was not the case.

Sponsored Links
Building Regs 2002 - Guide To Domestic Installers Leaflet said:
BOILER TYPE: MINIMUM SEDBUK VALUE

Natural Gas 78%

Natural gas – back boilers 75%

LPG 80%

LPG – back boilers 77%

Oil 85%

Oil – combi boiler 82%

Domestic Heating Compliancy Guide said:
2.7 GAS-FIRE FOR SECONDARY-SPACE HEATING PROVIDED AS PART OF A COMBINED FIRE AND BACK BOILER UNIT

A combined fire and back boiler unit can only be installed as a replacement for an existing combined fire and back boiler unit, and then only when the criteria of the Condensing Boiler Installation Assessment procedure are satisfied as outlined in Appendix A of this document. In order to comply with the requirements of the Building Regulations, the gas fire provided as a secondary heat source as part of a combined fire and back boiler unit, when provided as a replacement system in existing dwellings, should meet the following conditions:

a. The appliance should be one of the types described in Table 8 . The appliance manufacturer’s declaration of appliance performance shall include the following words:

b. The efficiency of this appliance has been measured as specified in {insert appropriate entry from Table 8 } and the result is [x]%. The gross calorific value of the fuel has been used for this efficiency calculation. The test data from which it has been calculated has been certified by {insert name and/or identification of Notified Body}. The efficiency value may be used in the UK Government’s Standard Assessment Procedure (SAP [ CIS link: SAP 2005. Government's Standard Assessment Procedure for energy rating of dwellings. 2005 edition ] ) for energy rating of dwellings.

Am I missing something here?

Well yes, because it is still subject to assessment and exemption. All this is saying is that in the case of exemption there is a minimum efficiency rating for the replacement appliance.

It does not appear to state that a like for like BBU replacement is allowable without justification.

EliteHeat said:
It does not appear to state that a like for like BBU replacement is allowable without justification.

Hence the "consult your local corgi guy"...

Sorry; re-read my original post and it would seem a bit hard-lined.... :D Just wanted to re-inforce the fact that BBU's are still a possibility as I've followed up on a few jobs where people had been told they "had" to have their kitchen rebuilt to fit in a condenser.

Thanks for the reply guys. How much would it cost for the parts i described earlier and is it ok to fit a used part from the same model. Roughly how much would a Corgi guy charge.
cheers!!

This is the burner part number.

384807 Burner Boiler - Aeromatic AC02/011421 prt No.102136

:Alternative
384807 Burner Boiler - Worgas - Baxi Special prt No. 102136

This part could easily be changed on a service.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back