Baxi bermuda 552 back boiler banging noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
the condensation produced is likley to be minimal, it would also be extremely difficult to repair,unless you were to try and insulate the gap between the flue liner and chinmey? the hissy noise has probibly only been noticed due to the boiler becoming fault ie not working and i wouldnt be surprised it if had been doing this from day one without any ill affect.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys for taking interest. But this doesnt help me solve my problem.

Can someone please help me here? All i need is to stop that banging noise, forget that silence noise business, if its distracting from the original problem. I thought i add that silent noise symptom to explain bit more what going on. But, no tha hissing noise is not a problem.

The problem is banging starts after 30 mins or so and gradually reduces banging after nearly an hour or so.

Please help. If we need to replace boiler then i am happy to do it. But i think this is technically not boiler as boiler seems to work fine.

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

Promax,

Thanks for your above reply. I didnt see it before i posted my reply above. When BG came to inspect last year, they said we need close builders opening in the chimeney. I dont know what does that mean thoguh.

Reading at the problem, do you think we need boiler replacement?
Thansk in anticipaiton of your help.

rahul

sorry we are easily distracted. :)

do you have thermostatic radiator valves ?

if so, one or more of them may be fitted backwards.

when 'banging' starts go round them one at a time & see if you can determine which one. if you remove the head of any suspect valve the banging will stop. alternatively remove all the heads first to see if you get no 'banging'.

my moneys on this.

Sponsored Links
rshah
just to clarifi banging noises usually occur due to an overheat/circulation fault. USUALLY !!!!!!!

or the borrowers have got behind the back boiler and after 30 mins its getting bloody hot, you'd be banging away too..........

Thanks spacethegas and all replying.

We have 2 new radiators with thermostatic vales fitted on them (written 1,2,3,4,5). These were fitted by previous owner when they did extension in the garrage and kitchen. The rest of the radiators in the house , nearly 6, are old type radiator with just manual valve on them (some the valves knobs are missing though...)

So do i need to remove thermostatic radiator valve heads on those 2 new ones as you said and check banging?

thanks for your help.

rahul

I removed head of both thermostatic radiator valves and turned the system on heating and water both ON in the evening. But the banging noise still comes as it was before removing head of thermostatic radiator valves.

Any other help, spacethegas and anyone?

Thansk in anticipation of your help.

regards

rahul

i've just read through the thread again.

what makes you think its overheating ?

have you tried it on different boilerstat settings ?

if its banging on no4 eg turn it down to no2, do the flames go out ?

does banging calm down ?

have you tried it on different pump speed settings ?

have you checked the open vent as requested earlier ?

i've just read through the thread again.

what makes you think its overheating ?

have you tried it on different boilerstat settings ?

if its banging on no4 eg turn it down to no2, do the flames go out ?

does banging calm down ?

have you tried it on different pump speed settings ?

have you checked the open vent as requested earlier ?

Thanks Bro.
I normally do no.3 in the summer time and then change it to no4 or higher during winter, thinking this increases hot water temp. during winter. so yes the banging noise comes in both settings. when BG came they did change pump speed and currently it is on 3 i guess. but it is still banging. I dont know if it is overheating but that was just my guess. I noticed last week that one of the radiator in the box room upstairs needs regular bleeding (may be once a week). So it seems air is regularly gettting into that radiator. Could this be a reason? Or should i do power flushing to see if sludge removal solves problem? I am having one guy this sunday who says he will get air out of the system. Basically what he says is, he is going to open each radiator at a time and clean it with water and refit it. We have 8 radiators. Do you think i shuold go ahead for this job or should i directly go for power flushing? OR none of them? This guy suggests we try air removal first, if it doesnt solve problem then we do power flushing. after these two if problem still persist then he will try something else. Do you think all these trials are worth, specially looking at the money each trial would cost me??

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

regards

rahul

I have exactly the same boiler and the same noise after 30 minutes of the heating and water being on but not when just water on! I have had 3 plumbers/heating engerneers look at it and noone can tell me what is wrong. They say it is safe but just a pain in the arse noise! Here is the challange if you can tell me how to fix it I will post you the biggest box of homemade cookies you have ever seen! x

my guess is the heat exchanger is scaled up and you can use rock wool to insulate the flue liner stopping the condensation, but i think there will be corrosion damage, you need to gas rate your boiler has well as a burner pressure check.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back