Baxi bermuda 552 back boiler banging noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We have Baxi bermuda 552 back boiler in our end terrace house. It makes banging noise after after 30 minutes of putting it on heating+hot water. When it starts making this banging noise and i put it on only hot water then noise stops. So when the boiler system is on central heating + hot water it makes this banging noise.

We really dont want to spend (if this can be repaired) on new boiler system at this stage.

Please help.

Thanks in anticipation.

Rahul

Sponsored Links
baxipoti so why is it not banging on just HW then... If it was other way about i would suspect boiler stat, could still be boiler stat if fully pumped system after half hour cylinder stat could be satisfied and motorised valve turned off so boiler turns off as no demand.

When it starts banging check to see if water is shooting up pipe into your header tank if so it is the boiler stat gone

thanks both of you for quick and kind reply.

One thing i would like to add to my problem that when it is making this banging noise and get the bottom part of the front fire out so that i can see flame behind it, i can hear some additional (silent) noise like someone is throwing water drops on the flame. If you know what i mean. I dont know how to describe this in your jargon.

I would be honest and say am layman in this field. so doesnt make any sense to me what you guys mentioned above.
Could i have someone to look at our system and do the repair for us please?
We are ready to pay whatever repair costs.
we are based in north west london (greenford).
please contact me on 07766492708 or [email protected].

thanks in anticipation.

rahul

Sponsored Links
Hello,

We did not manage to repair this last winter. As winter is now almost there, we would like to sort this out this winter. Can someone please help or guide? To summerise problem, It is BAXI Bermuda 552 (nearly 15 years old) back boiler. I can feel one small radiator having air trap and every week or so i have to bleed that perticular radiator to get air out of it. Apart from that we have 4 bedrooms and extended kitchen in which all radiators work fine and heat up nicely. The problem is when we start the system on central heating and hot water then it starts banging noise after 30 mins or so. When the system is just on Hot water, it doesnt make any noise.
We have cold water tank in the loft and hot water tank in one of the bedrooms on the first floor.

I have had couple engineers came to check the system and they said pump is working fine and the system is fine as well. The problem could be air in the system or sludge otherwise pumps is working fine. One engineer came and advised to change to new combi boiler (EX British gas employee). I really dont want to replace except there is no cure to this convensional system.

Can someone please help. Thanks in anticipaiton of your help.
Regards
Rahul

One thing i would like to add to my problem that when it is making this banging noise and get the bottom part of the front fire out so that i can see flame behind it, i can hear some additional (silent) noise like someone is throwing water drops on the flame.

thanks in anticipation.

rahul

I find it difficult to imagine what a "silent noise" would "sound" like!

Nor can I imagine what might cause your problem yet but after I have mulled it over I might come up with a possibility.

Does the "silent" noise keep you awake?

Tony

PS

If water is dropping onto the flame then that makes the boiler "Immediately Dangerous" !!!

the silent noise you hear like water dropping on the flames is CONDENSATION.

the silent noise you hear like water dropping on the flames is CONDENSATION.

I have to admit that I have never heard a silent noise!

Nor did I think that a 552 was a condensing boiler!

Tony

it is not a condensating boiler.h/e. its condensation within the flue dropping on the burner/ he/ex

it is not a condensating boiler.. its condensation within the flue dropping on the burner/ he !!!

i understand what you are saying.

i have worked on thousands.

i had one for 3 years.

you don't want to hear hissing.

even silently :?:

i also have worked on thousands,when the chimney liner .i.e. copex is rapidly heat within a cool chiney space it produces condensation!!

ok.

no point arguing.

a peak under the fire after 5 min operation, if the op can see yellow flame through sight glass &/or can hear 'silent' hissing indicates problem.

Agreed ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back