Baxi Bermuda C5 - Heating and Water not independent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am new to this forum and know very little about central heating, so I apologise in advance for my ignorance. I don't really understand the system that I have so any explanation would be greatfully received.

We have a Baxi Bermuda C5 back boiler and gas fire and it seems to be playing up lately. We also have an eletric immersion heater for the water storage tank. I am not sure what tanks we have in the loft but could find out if it is relevant.

Most of the time we have the hot water turned off at the electronic control panel as our appliances are either eletric or coldfill. I began to notice that sometimes we would randomly have hot water. Initially I thought that somehow this was linked to having the fire on. However, our shower broke down recently so we have switched the hot water back on. I have subsequently noticed that when the hot water is switched on and the central heating is also on the radiators continue to heat up even after the thermostat should have switched it off. I think that when the heating is completely switched off the hot water being on doesn't affect it. We also still get hot water after the central heating has been on.

I would like to fix the problem as during the summer months the heating is not required but we may still need hot water, and it seems that we are wasting energy, so any help would be much appreciated.

Let me know if you need any further details, or clarification.

Sponsored Links
This kind of problem is often the manifestation or more problems although it could be that only your diverter has given up in which case it is simply a matter of replacing the valve or sometimes only the actuator.
If you know little about central heating, your best bet is to find a good installer to check the whole system over.
Don't worry about wasting energy; even at the best of times you are likely to waste more than 50% of the gas you pay for, so you are not likely to notice a lot of difference.

just to tell you a little the Fire is C5
the Back boiler is not, it should be a 401 or 552 look under the fire and
you should find the number normally on the front of the grey box approx
1"- 2" left of center (for future ref)
the problem sounds like the motorised valve is U/S usually a silver box with 3 pipes sticking out in your airing cupboard (occasionally in the side of the BBU)

Sponsored Links
just to tell you a little the Fire is C5
the Back boiler is not, it should be a 401 or 552 look under the fire and
you should find the number normally on the front of the grey box approx
1"- 2" left of center (for future ref)
the problem sounds like the motorised valve is U/S usually a silver box with 3 pipes sticking out in your airing cupboard (occasionally in the side of the BBU)

If it helps at all I think the model number is 45/4M and the GC is 44-077-71 (whatever that means).

I've looked in the airing cupboard and cannot see a silver box with pipes sticking out. Could you describe in more detail what I'm looking for?

If it is the motorised valve is there any chance of fixing it myself or is it something that requires a professional?

Can you post a photo of your hot water cylinder and everything near it?

Take the panel away under cylinder then post another pic.

I know this post is several months old but I thought I'd update you on what's happened in the meantime.

I have been extremely busy and kind of just forgot about this. I just switched the hot water off completely as most of our appliances (shower, washing machine and dishwasher) are cold fill/electrical it didn't make a massive impact. It does mean boiling the kettle for washing up.

I finally got round to opening up the panel at the bottom of the tank and found it stuffed with insulation. Under all this I found the motorised valve. It doesn't seem to move at all when turning heating/hot water on and off, so I'm pretty convinced that this is what has broken.

I haven't had the boiler serviced for a while so think it might be a good option. Would this be fixed as standard as part of a service?

Thanks again for any help.

I haven't had the boiler serviced for a while so think it might be a good option. Would this be fixed as standard as part of a service?

Thanks again for any help.

No any faults would be advised of and charged accordingly.

To help whoever comes to repair it, you could make a note of what the valve is and let the chap know what the fault is and that you want a service too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back