Baxi Bermuda engineers in Leicester

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody .
I have just discovered that my baxi Bermuda inset bs is leaking water from underneath the main boiler assembly.
Do you know of any engineers I can call to get it inspected and possibly fixed.
I have shut the valve of the header tank and emptied the system of water from the drain valve next to the boiler.

Any help or advice would be great.

Simon

Sponsored Links
Any competent engineer can deal with a simple old boiler like that.

Its very likely to be the main heat exchanger leaking which usually means replacing the boiler as its otherwise a very expensive repair even if the part were still available.

Tony

Actual model will help. I've JUST chucked out a perfectly good hex from a bermuda! I still have a working burner and control tray, for an electronic version, (although I don't recall the model), if the leak has damaged anything

The inset is not a particularly old boiler but the heat ex is over 300 quid to buy so is going to be a quite expensive repair

Sponsored Links
Hi all and thank you for the quick replies and advice.
I have been up in the loft and found the paperwork for the boiler.
It is a baxi Bermuda inset 50/3 . And was installed in 1996.
I will be ringing a local engineer today and see what he finds.
Looking at the forum posts it is pointing towards the heat exchange.

Thanks again for all your help

My 552 heat exchanger was repaired by taking it apart and replacing the gasket between the two halves of the HE.

andytw

Your heat exch is sectional and there may be a gasket set available. Contact Baxi for advice on parts. The labour won't be cheap. I've done several 552 heat exchangers (regasketed) and take me at least 4 hours. Still cheaper than a new system, and the inset is an OK boiler.

Status update.

Engineer came today... Turned on water and could find no leak????.
I have had boiler running for 3 hours and still no signs of any water?
Now I very much doubt it's fixed itself but more curious as to why they is no leakage today.
All engineer found was some fibre glass wool had fell ontop of the fire box.
There is signs of rusty water seepage down rhs of boiler box.

Did he do any tests on your flue?

Is it possible that rain water has come down the chimney? Have you had rain there

We have had now rain here for over a week so the flu isn't to blame.
The water I found under it on sunday was clean and not signs of sludge or rust.
I wasn't in today when engineer came but he had removed front fire and was using some form of leak tester according to my dad.

My issue is.... Should I leave it as is with fingers crossed. Or fork out for a new modern system.
If I have new system will I have to have pump replaced as this is under the floor in one of the bed rooms .

My opinion would be if you have the funds available get it replaced while the weather is good.

As said previously it could be repaired but would be expensive

I'm thinking along the lines of modernise whilst it's summer.
Could keep on using boiler only for it to fail mid. Winter.
If new system is installed do I have to locate the pump from old system as this is probably under the floor inside a wardrobe we had fitted a couple of years ago....don't know why it was installed under floor directly under the bed...makes a good alarm clock though when it kicks in at 6 am.

Depend on what system u go for pump could be in boiler but I would relocate the pump at this time regardless

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back