Baxi Bermuda / LFE3 warm air

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Baxi Bermuda 552 back boiler with LFE3 Super fire front. I've had it for about 17 years. The other day I was standing next to it, the fire front was not on, but the boiler had fired up, and I felt a steady flow of warm air coming out of the grill at the top of the fire front. I had never noticed this before, but had perhaps never stood right close to it before! Can anyone please tell me if this is normal?

Sponsored Links
The fire front has a large cast iron 'heat store', so if the fire was on even an hour or more previously then that could be the source of your heat. Otherwise I would be asking when it was last serviced and suggesting that it may be worth getting it checked out as a faulty or blocked flue or inadequate ventilation are possible scenarios.

I would go one step further.

Turn off and DO NOT USE until checked by and RGI :eek:

I agree it could be spilling fumes into the room. Get it serviced and tested by an rgi.

Sponsored Links
i have worked on literally hundreds of these units with different fire fronts and have NEVER felt any heat from the fire if you are sure only the boiler was on, it is vital it is not used and checked ASAP as it is likely to be spillage causing the problem

Thanks for your advice. I made this post just before going on holiday, so I immediately turned the boiler off and arranged for a service engineer to call on my return. He has now been and thoroughly checked the boiler, and confirmed that everything is OK. He said that this can happen sometimes - e.g. if there is a bit of a down draft. Anyway thanks for your responses - better to be safe than sorry.

There should be no 'downdraft' your flue and/or ventilation is not correct.

If there should be NO down draft why do we have to warm flues sometimes to get them to pull .
Occasional down draught is quite common on initial ignition depending on outside weather conditions and position of house ie in a valley ,atmospheric pressure etc .
This boiler may have jst fired up and spilled for a bit while flue heated, and you could bomb and spillage check it hundreds of times and it you might never catch it doing it again

If there should be NO down draft why do we have to warm flues sometimes to get them to pull .
Occasional down draught is quite common on initial ignition depending on outside weather conditions and position of house ie in a valley ,atmospheric pressure etc .
This boiler may have jst fired up and spilled for a bit while flue heated, and you could bomb and spillage check it hundreds of times and it you might never catch it doing it again

ah the voice of reason among the scaremongers or should that be experience of older appliances.

If there should be NO down draft why do we have to warm flues sometimes to get them to pull

Agreed, but if a flue is not pulling within 5 mins of being lit, I'd be concerned. If it failed after a further 10 mins it's AR.

If they're in a valley etc they should have a propriety terminal fitted.

does this happen after 10 mins it can do this at first but no longer than 30 seconds once back boiler is fired up has the momentum should be there after this time, i had a soddin crows nest in the flue the other day and it was completely blocked.

Baxipoti it would not be AR it would be ID .
Bob i take it that was not a backboiler but a fire ,had jackdaws fill a chimney bottom to top in less than a week.

Oh have you heard there is to be no such word as flues we are to describe everything as chimneys so a room sealed appliance now has a balanced chimney seemingly some EU directive thats coming in :rolleyes:

Bob i take it that was not a backboiler but a fire ,had jackdaws fill a chimney bottom to top in less than a week.

Wouldn't be the first bbu I've had around here that is a flue liner where it disappears into the chimney and a standard chimney pot terminal a the top. Had one the other day with sticks and broken eggs etc all over the catchment space :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back