BAXI BERMUDA

has anyone seen this problem before in your line of work? how common would you say this is????
Im still very cold and now anxious cos im due to have another new valve fitted 2moro and i dont wanna fork out all that cash if it could be sumthin simple??? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Gas valves do fail but not very common. What you need is a heating engineer who may not be cheap but is honest. I invite my clients to 'look over' my sholder to see what is being done. They pay for what is done. They don't get done for what I have not done.

kirkgas, if there was to be a gas supply pressure problem, would it effect my gas hob as i have noticed that the flame goes out when on low light, neva thought the problems might be related???? :oops: please reply asap as dont wanna pay valve 4 no reason

Hi, Sarah, bit of a weird one! (the prob, not you)

If the pilot is strong and blue, and enveloping the t/c, then it doesn't need cleaning. Over the years, I have had to change probably a handful of valves for this problem, so it is something of a rarity. It is almost unheard of for the same boiler to need a valve replacing twice! (I should keep ny head low after saying that!) - Very unlucky. What was the reason for the 1st valve change?

It is annoying for you, but what does the fitter who changed the t/c say?
It isn't impossible to have a faulty, but new t/c, and has he correctly tightened it into the valve?

As has been suggested, it can't be an "electrical" fault.

Is the pilot outage consistent. Coulds you light it and watcg for any flame fluctuation prior to the pilot failure?

Sponsored Links
it is the same guy who replaced the valve 2 years ago, cant remeber y he had 2 do it, he was absolutely confused when the t.c didnt fix the problem, was so adamant that it shudn't be the valve already that he wanted to personally phone baxi customer support and complain!!!!! whats the odds that the problem was the t.c and now the new t.c could be faulty too, guess theres no point me playing lotto 2mo night, lol :cry: !!!!

could a normal corgi registered plumber check the gas supply, also would my gas hob be affected if the gas supply pressure was not right??

he wanted to personally phone baxi customer support and complain!!!!! ]

good luck with that! LOL

Seriously, there is a limited number of reasons.

Dirty / Poor pilot burner - seems unlikely, going on your previous posts

Faulty mag valve in Gas valve - possible but unlucky

Faulty thermocouple. Even new this is the most likely, and for the minimal cost risk, worth a punt. I always use genuine honeywell tc's not the carp universals

Flame disturbance / oxygen starvation. Actually possible, but if the fitter has tested flue flow and spillage, it's unlikely. Assuming main burner doesn't come on withn a bang.

Pressure fluctuations: Possible, I suppose, but I'm not convinced. If you phone Transco, or whatever, they are now called, and tell them your fitter has reported occasional low pressure, they will come out. They have to, and will test pressure, but your fitter could do this anyway, and should have tested burner pressure when he last attended. Be prepared, though, for them to cut you off!

If Scooby lives local, take him up on his offer of an old valve. Your fitter will probably be happy to swap out, I would in his position. Good luck.

expertgasman, thanks for your advice, i dont think he did check the flue, i have spoken 2 him and told him of your advice, he is now going to check pressure in the morning (before opening and fitting the new valve)!!! what are the next steps if it is a low/high pressure feed? is that something that would be a big expense? Thankyou to everyone for your advice, and scooby for the valve but hopefully wont be needing it!! not getting hopes up tho, anything could happen between now and getting it sorted!!!

If the pressure is fluctuating, this will indicate a fault on the meter governor, which will be the responsibity of Transco etc. Consistent low pressure MAY be governor fault (again Transco cost), or a restriction in the supply to the boiler. As it has been previously ok, this is unlikely.

Sarah, yor hob rings may not be set up correctly hence when lowest setting, these go out.

Suggest you get another engineer to confirm what present one is saying. I wonder if the t/couple is fitted correctly if you chap is struggling with such a simple fault.

How much is he charging for the gas valve? A thermocouple can be tested with a meter. Are you sure this guy knows what he is doing. I have my doubts no way an electrical fault all this shows is a failure of a basic understanding of how these things work. I only learnt about this type of boiler after having a gas safe person round for a fix and service and was told the gas valve was faulty and the boiler was beyond economic repair. Saw him on his way had a read up on the MI's and fixed myself.

Also make sure theres no crud on the cold juncion (tc - valve)

if we now have issues with 2 appliances it is even more likely to be a common problem effecting both, ie the regulator on the meter, rather than a specific problem at the boiler (which wont effect the hob) it wont cost anything to get it checked by the supplier, a gas engineer can check the pressure at the meter, BUT if there is a fluctuating problem it may or may not show up when he is there, the gas supplier on the other hand will prob change the regulator as an easier option than testing it, he will get paid to change it anyway so he might just do it to get a quick job done

the guys been doing this job since before i was born, at least 28 years i rekon!! My stepdads a decorater and they worked a lot of jobs together plus all my family use him, was gunna av a different guy until i got told that he wouldnt even look at the problem until i agreed for him 2 service it, well erm, no thanks dont need doing till november, would you have a mot 2 months earlier just so a garage would change a worn tyre!!!! the valve gunna cost me £63 plus vat then theres theres the labour costs. Don't mind any of that except only paid for this 2 be done 2 years ago so highly concerned if the valve gets fitted it wont solve the problem and ive forked out for nothing!!

Well if he has been doing it that long I would hope that he is able to fault find with a meter (some basic tests can be carried out on the gas valve and thermocouple) but not sure why he says it could have been an "electrical" fault when no such condition can exist on the 401. Also when it was running and as part of the service then the gas pressure/usage should have been checked. Did he go to the gas meter and time for gas usage whilst the boiler was on (this could show up a regulator issue also try with all burners on gas hob/cooker) ? With regards to the cooker what happens if you have a burner on full and quickly twist the knob to min? Do you loose the flame?

With regards to the other guy, believe he is following protocol as he wouldn't want to put his name on a repair without checking flue condition, smoke test and all other saftey features especially with this type of boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back