Baxi Boiler - Is this repair price about right?

We would have charged you £146 in London, plus parking and congestion charge but we would not have changed the small diaphragm as that was not necessary!

I think you got a very good deal there!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Why would you not have changed the diaphragms? The diverter valve cost nearly £90 and yet these 2 parts costing a mere £20 have solved the problem. Plus the labour difference between changing the diaphragms as opposed to changing the whole diverter itself.

Your right on one thing though, i did get a very good deal from it all. And very happy with the service aswell. :D

Why would you not have changed the diaphragms?

He's only talking about the small primary diaphragm (not the big one). These are not subjected to mains water so give little enough trouble so can be assumed to be in good condition if the flow pin works during a routine service.

That price did include changing the diverter valve diaphragm.

But the flow switch diaphragm does not need to be changed as they hardly ever fail if they are not opened up.

Tony

Sponsored Links
There would appear to be a difference between routine service (operation check I assume) and preventative maintanance where service is carried out as per the makers recomendations. This type of service is to reduce chances of system malfunctioning during the next 12 months.

Not to change the (small) diaphragm is like going to a standing pilot boiler and not changing the thermocouple.

I maintain a lot of boilers which use that small diaphragm and I have never needed to change even a single one which had failed as a fault.

Its only when opened up to check or clean do I even find that they sometimes tear when removed.

Consequently I never replace them "in case".

Tony

There would appear to be a difference between routine service (operation check I assume) and preventative maintanance where service is carried out as per the makers recomendations. This type of service is to reduce chances of system malfunctioning during the next 12 months.

Not to change the (small) diaphragm is like going to a standing pilot boiler and not changing the thermocouple.

Good point, and used to be the case. But if you read the MI's for most combis, a service is literally a dry combustion service (same as any WM, FF). This was because in the ealier days combis were criticised for all the hydraulic maintenane requirements as contract specifiers, LA's where starting to look at servicing costs. MI's now usually show waterside maintenance under the parts replacement sections with the disclaimer 'parts will require periodic replacement from time to time' etc...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back