Boiler repair quote seems a bit steep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been at my father-in-laws and they have a problem with their BAXI 105E combi boiler. The diagnosis by a local plumber is a faulty diverter valve and pressure vessel diaphragm but the quote to do the work is £610 inc VAT which sounds like an awful lot of money. I'm no plumber but this does this sound a bit steep to me or is it in your opinion a fair price? :?:

Sponsored Links
It does sound somewhat on the high side and certainly worth some other quotes for comparison. This ought to be done as a matter of course anyway as there are a lot of cowboys, and quite frankly con artists, out there who like to prey on the naivety of older generation in particular.

The time (weather) of year doesn't help - plenty of work available so many can afford to price high as a simple case of supply and demand.

Mathew

Sponsored Links
As you can't quote without seeing the situation, we don't give quotes here.
Your quote does seem high, but there could be a number of circumstances that would justify it.

Agile could travel up from london and beat that by a mile, it's a rippoff price if it's a 'normal repair' quote.

Agile could travel up from london and beat that by a mile, it's a rippoff price if it's a 'normal repair' quote.

You on his payroll?

Its only expensive if you have comparable quotes.
Your quote does seem high, but there could be a number of circumstances that would justify it.

Ben has summed it up really, and it might be worth phoning BG for a fixed price repair.

Just a thought - most of us gas people are not in the habit of ripping people off, contrary to Matt Notbright stating otherwise.

Mr. W.

You on his payroll?.
Is that a question or a joke :rolleyes:

No one is quoting anything , but , COME ON £610 FFS.
I do'nt condone ripping anyone off, and that stinks of rippoff to me. ;)

Just a thought - most of us gas people are not in the habit of ripping people off, contrary to Matt Notbright stating otherwise.
If that childish comment was referring to me I agree. That's why I said 'a lot', not 'most'.

Mathew

I remember seeing a quote for £600 to replace 5-8 roofing tiles. When the customer asked around, he was told he was being ripped off. Until the job was explained that it was a 4 storey house which needed scaffolding up to the roof.

Until you can see the job and what goes with it, every job is different!

Andy

So thats about £520 before the VAT. Im not sure its massively out, its not cheap, but then again im not sure why everyone is so determined to undervalue our trade. The chap has been and diagnosed, obtained part costs and spent time putting the quote together.
A little unsure how you replace a pressure vessel diaphragm though, never replaced one of those myself.

MJN: I was not replying to you - merely that bloke who sits on the back of a bike on bbc. You on the other hand strike me as a decent bloke.

COME ON £610 FFS.
I do'nt condone ripping anyone off, and that stinks of rippoff to me
Why? What are you comparing that to? Why your suggesting Tony can do it cheaper is either one of two things:

Your on the payroll?

Your putting him in a difficult position as neither of you have seen the job and your assuming he will be cheaper. Have you asked Tony? (The OP is in Yorkshire for gods sake).

I respectfully ask you dont suggest another forum member can do the job cheaper even if he can. Its not your place to. Tony may have seen this thread already and if his mind-set is like mine, would not appreciate your comments on his behalf.

Quote yourself, you cant be more than 70 miles away.

Mr. W.

A little unsure how you replace a pressure vessel diaphragm though, never replaced one of those myself.

Totally agree, as thats new one on me too!

Mr. W.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back