Faulty Combi Diverting Valve - Options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Halstean Finest (47-333-06) combi boiler. No DHW. I had a look and the pin on the end of the diverting valve was not actuating the microswitch. The local plumber agreed that the valve is faulty, but wants the thick end of 500 quid to replace it which seems a bit steep. He did say that these boilers are crap and his advice was to replace it with something decent - he would say that of course :)

Anyway, I'm reasonably adept at this sort of thing and it doesn't go near the gas supply so I'm wondering if I can fix it myself. I notice you can get repair kits for these valves. Do I need just the diaphragm or seeing as I am stripping it out anyway, do I get the internal bits service kit too? Or, should I get a complete valve. Or, is the guy right and I should junk the boiler.

Any insight appreciated.

PS. If I strip the valve, are there any adjustments/settings etc.that I might not be aware of?

Sponsored Links
Almost certainly just need to replace the diaphram. Halstead dont sell them. Buy one for a Vokera Maxin, they are the same and a lot cheaper.

Mmm.. so can the diaphragm be changed without removing the whole valve? It looks like a possibility (hopefully)!

Also there's several different types of Maxin boiler with allegedly different types of diaphragm.

Sponsored Links
Yep.
Turn off water to boiler. Open all your hot taps to drain. Remove clips from small pipes to diaphram housing. pull out the two small pipes. Diaphram housing is fixed to diverter valve with 2 grub screws just loosten these remove housing, replace diaphram jobs a goodun. Use silicon lube on Orings and moving spindle. Make sure water is drained and better turn off electrics as well to keep things safe.

Thanks for all the info - you're a star!! Even more so if it works :)

I might just buy the one listed for the Halstead. 25 quid is still a lot cheaper than 500 (even if it is ten times more than the Vokera part)

H supply you with a shaft seal with their expensive diaphragm, which is a handy spare to have.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back