Am I Being ripped off on boiler quote?

Just picked up on this post, and am somewhat surprised at some of the replies. I need a new boiler, and have decided on a Viessmann Vitodens-200. I asked two tradesman to quote, one is Viessmann trained guy, the other not, (only three years warranty with the latter, five with the former), Both said they wished to see the installation before quoting, both turned up when they said they would, and both gave quotes.

Perhaps I'm just lucky!

As a matter of interest what is the inclusive price each quoted ?

I am interested in the differential between the trained five year warranty and the untrained three year warranty.

The price I quote over the phone is a budgetary price subject to a site visit. I only make a free visit when the quote has been provisionally acccepted.

Now just to help vets and others understand what does make us upset:-

I was called to repair an Ideal Response. That was £84 to diagnose the fault. Whilst I got the boiler working, I had to tell him that the HE was leaking and that meant a new boiler.

I gave him our standard quote of boiler trade cost plus £840. He then admitted that he had called a third world CORGI before who had been unable to determine the fault with the boiler. BUT he had quoted a MUCH lower price for fitting a replacement boiler!

I never heard from him again so must assume he went with his cheap quote!

Tony

Sponsored Links
No need to get upset Agile - he'll come back to you when the new boiler goes wrong, and you can get the job of condemning the installation and then putting it right.

No need to get upset Agile - he'll come back to you when the new boiler goes wrong, and you can get the job of condemning the installation and then putting it right.

hmm, at what price i wonder.....oh wait......

That was £84 to diagnose the fault
I gave him our standard quote of boiler trade cost plus £840

is central heating maths that simple.......84 times 10........

So, once again: will you giving the work to both of the tradesmen who turned up and who quoted, or will you be asking one of the tradesmen who turned up and quoted to write off the time (and the fuel cost) that he spent in turning up and quoting?

Sorry, too difficult. Ask me one on nuclear physics.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back