jeez what the hell do you want the fitter to pay you :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
oh yeah I'm with ChrisR on this one
I am on most things, but not this.

Get at least 3 quotes (despite what others may say) - thats part of the game
It is not a game.

Get recommended people if possible
Get them even if it's not possible.

I can totally sympaphise with you though - it took us ages to find someone, loads of no-shows, shows but never came up with a price etc etc etc ..
So why do it?

If you think that tradespeople can't tell when their time is about to be wasted, then you're wrong. People who are in the process of getting competitive quotes use very easily distinguishable vocabulary, and I give them a distant timescale as a means of politely declining.

Others are not so polite, and use the failing-to-turn-up ploy as a statement of disinterest. Tradespeople who haven't refined their customer bullsh1t detection methods will turn up to see what you're like, then, having found out, will disappear into the wind. Eventually you'll get a price from someone who can't do the job but needs the money, and seems cheap, or someone who can do the job but doesn't know how to turn you down. Or you might, occasionally, get very very lucky, and find someone genuine and capable who you manage not to p1ss off. :rolleyes:

Thats well explained!

I am good at detecting the different nuiances and they are usually like this:-

Collecting quotes:- " I would like a quote to install a boiler!

Recommended:- " You have been recommended to install a boiler for me, can you come and discuss the installation and give me a rough idea of the cost?".

Preferred:- " How much would it cost to install a boiler for me?"

In the first and last case I quote a budgetary cost on the phone explaining I dont make visits just to give quotes. I also add that if they need advice then we charge but deduct that from our quote.

In the case of anyone who says that we have been recommended then I give an idea of the cost on the phone and if they say thats OK then I visit to confirm the price.

Regards

Tony

Sponsored Links
Have a mate buying a Grant Vortex 36/46 Oil Condensing Utility Boiler for £1000 ex vat.
Sound expensive ?.

The more people you ask to quote, the more people's time you're completely and utterly wasting. This practice of competitive quoting for such small jobs (yes it's small) is a blight on the nation's productivity and should be made illegal.

I just read this and laughed out loud!! :LOL:

Softus ive no idea what world you live in but it certainly is far from real. In fact looking at your massive post count I would suggest its a virtual world. Maybe if you spent less time on here you would have more time to quote for jobs?

As for your defence of tradesmen - very nice except a lot of tradesmen are cowboys - not most but lots. A higher percentage that more walks of life - I speak as a tradesman myself.

Either you are a WUM or not very clever........

3 quotes is the way to go - unless you like wasting your cash. Just make sure you understand what your getting quoted for.

Foresthills wrote

very nice except a lot of tradesmen are cowboys

Which is why its best to use someone recommended.
Anyone arriving at my doorstep gets the job. Even if I know Joe Bloggs down the road will probably do it cheaper. :eek:

I dont waste peoples time so I ask for telephone quotes!

If they say that they must come and see the job then I decline them as they either dont know how to price jobs or they want to look me up and charge as much as they think thye will get away with. Or even they have nothing to do which is very bad news,

The best job I had done was a flat roofer who quoted per sq m and I told him the area and he confirmed the price. I left the payment with her indoors and he came and did a very good job! He was excellent!

I also used to know an older irish plasterer, he would not take any payment until I had seen the job and was totally satisfied. Of course he could do this because he was also excellent at his job and I think he knew I was rather critical and enjoyed satisfying me.

I work out what is a reasonable price and then go with the first person who sounds as if they know what they are doing and quotes a fair price on the phone.

I just dont want to be bothered with no hopers or cowboys visiting. If they cannot discuss the price on the phone then they dont have any pricing skills.

Tony

Softus ive no idea what world you live in but it certainly is far from real.
It's nice to have certainty in life.

In fact looking at your massive post count
Keep your eyes off my massive post. And don't call me a count.

As for your defence of tradesmen - very nice except a lot of tradesmen are cowboys - not most but lots.
I'm not defending anyone or anything, except efficiency.

Either you are a WUM or not very clever.
That would be the latter then.

3 quotes is the way to go - unless you like wasting your cash.
If you're correct, then how do you propose that the two losing quoters account for their time? Should they just give it away? Is that a good way to make money?

Just picked up on this post, and am somewhat surprised at some of the replies. I need a new boiler, and have decided on a Viessmann Vitodens-200. I asked two tradesman to quote, one is Viessmann trained guy, the other not, (only three years warranty with the latter, five with the former), Both said they wished to see the installation before quoting, both turned up when they said they would, and both gave quotes.

Perhaps I'm just lucky!

I never give a quote without turning up. Can't see how you can see any problems if you don't.

Every job is different to some degree.

I also like to meet the prospective customer in person, I've usually found that the personal touch is what gets you the job.

I have no problems with free quotes, you lose some, but win most I find.

Don't be put off the forum by your first subject, stingow. It was unwise to use the words "ripped off" and some of the plumbers and heating engineers here are very sensitive and can appear quite hostile which is contrary to the ethos of the forum. Some of them, however, are extremely knowledgeable and if asked nicely, are kind enough to disseminate their knowledge in an altruistic manner. A few, I'm afraid, are boors.

At the risk of upsetting the pros here and as a consumer in this regard myself, the customer doesn't usually want the cheapest price, they want a professional job, ideally some sort of forward guarantee and good value.

If the customer doesn't understand the amount of work/experience/skill/equipment/extra parts etc. required for the job, he is left looking only at a final figure and the one thing he can cost himself which is the boiler and wondering if the difference is fair, which is exactly the reason for his post.

There is no evidence that stingow is a plumbing "tyre kicker" He needs a job done, has money to pay for it but needs the knowledge to understand what he might need and that what has been asked is reasonable. The gentleman providing the first quote has evidently not been able to explain what makes up his quote in a manner providing this knowledge.

If there were no further parts required and it took one man a day to fit it, would be unduly expensive whereas if it took a week for two men to fit and a thousand pounds worth of parts it would be unduly (and thus worringly) cheap.

In the absence of a recommendation, it is not unreasonable to have two or three estimates or quotations. Many businesses operate in such an environment

Offering a service to the public and then failing to reply or turn up to an agreed appointment is simply rude. There is usually only one chance to say "no" to a customer and whilst you might decline the work, you would still be asked again for a job you might be minded to quote for in the future.

When asking for a quote, I act upon the words by John Ruskin (1819-1900) who wrote:

"it's unwise to pay too much but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. It can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better"

I asked two tradesman to quote, one is Viessmann trained guy, the other not, (only three years warranty with the latter, five with the former), Both said they wished to see the installation before quoting, both turned up when they said they would, and both gave quotes.
So will you be giving the work to both of them, or will you be asking one of them to write off the time they spent on the visit and the quote?

If the latter, then who do you think will be paying for that time?

When asking for a quote, I act upon the words by John Ruskin (1819-1900) who wrote:

"it's unwise to pay too much but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. It can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better"
Ooh, I like that. I'm gonna nick it.

So will you be giving the work to both of them, or will you be asking one of them to write off the time they spent on the visit and the quote?

As they both asked to view the installation, the question does not arise, unless of course they expect to get every job they quote for.

As they both asked to view the installation, the question does not arise, unless of course they expect to get every job they quote for.
I don't think you read my post correctly.

I asked two tradesman to quote...both turned up when they said they would, and both gave quotes.
So, once again: will you giving the work to both of the tradesmen who turned up and who quoted, or will you be asking one of the tradesmen who turned up and quoted to write off the time (and the fuel cost) that he spent in turning up and quoting?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back