Am I Being ripped off on boiler quote?

Does anyone think that this quote is a bit on the steep side as I can buy the boiler for about £1300.00.

Just so that we can be sure that you are being totally honest about this price could you say the exact price that you can buy it for and quote where this is from or give a link.

Unless you are VAT registered then you should be quoting the price including vat or say "+ VAT".

It seems that Dave has paid about £450 too much!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Mine was a combi, are we talking about that or a heat only?

I haven't paid too much for anything, but the builder who paid me may of done with my mark up added to that :eek:

Hi everyone.
I need to get a new boiler fitted in the next month as our old one is past its best and very expensive to run.
It is a potterton oil fired combi boiler which is housed in the garage with a flew straight through the wall behind it.
We have been trying to get quotes but loads of plumbers have not showed up at all or have not got back to us after leaving my number on their answer machine.
They must be very busy!!!
Anyway,I have got one quote through which was for "fitting a new Grants Vortex Condensing Boiler complete with new fire valve".
The price I got quoted was £3750.00 plus vat.
Does anyone think that this quote is a bit on the steep side as I can buy the boiler for about £1300.00.

Since the Potty was a combi one would assume the Grant is also a combi.

I am looking forward to hearing where he gets it for just £1300 !

Tony

Sponsored Links
clearly this guy must be giving off bad vibes or lives in the middle of nowhere or lives in a bad area.

from the title this topic I guess the first one. bet he is a classic time waster. only had one quote and first thing he does is go on the internet because he thinks he is getting 'ripped off' :rolleyes:

should have a sign around his neck saying 'rogue customer' :evil:

What I am really trying to say is if the price seems fair or not.
No one here has said that it seems fair or not.
The fact of the matter is that I need a new boiler before the end of september and after 2 weeks of trying have only got one quote in.
The money is not a problem as I knew I needed a new boiler change so it is sitting in the bank.
All I wanted was a rough answer to the question of the price I was quoted so I could get on with getting the job done.
I am sure non of you here would get such an expensive job done with just getting one quote in would you.

What I am really trying to say is if the price seems fair or not.
No one here has said that it seems fair or not.
Well if you're going to labour your point then I'll do the same.

The more people you ask to quote, the more people's time you're completely and utterly wasting. This practice of competitive quoting for such small jobs (yes it's small) is a blight on the nation's productivity and should be made illegal.

If you don't trust anyone to charge a fair price then don't ask anyone to do the work.

If you can't afford to pay the going rate, then save up some more.

If you can't afford the upkeep on a house, then don't buy one.

The fact of the matter is that I need a new boiler before the end of september and after 2 weeks of trying have only got one quote in.

The money is not a problem as I knew I needed a new boiler change so it is sitting in the bank.
In that case you have everything you need to give the go-ahead.

All I wanted was a rough answer to the question of the price I was quoted so I could get on with getting the job done.
Sandpaper.

I am sure non of you here would get such an expensive job done with just getting one quote in would you.
I wouldn't get even one quote - I'd ask for an estimate from someone I trust, then let them get on with it, and then pay them what they billed me. Clearly I wouldn't need to do that for a boiler installation, but I'd certainly do it for plastering, bricklaying, joinery, some electrical work, and roofing. Oh, and massaging.

Clearly I wouldn't need to do that for a boiler installation, but I'd certainly do it for plastering, bricklaying, joinery, some electrical work, and roofing. Oh, and massaging.

You would need to get a quote for a massage first?

They are cheaper in Thai ! About 300 Baht without any "extras" at Wat Po !

Once again, no; in my real world his name is spelt "Gordon", and computer keyboards have apostrophe keys.

I don't do oil but
1) Yes I would want more than one quote
2) Yes it does look a bit expensive, without any further detail
3) Yes I would hope that people who say they will come, either do, or call

So I don't see what's so wrong with the original poster's query.

On point 3, plumbers aren't very good at that, partly because they tend to be in vans driving about or busy on a job and not sitting in an office, which is more a reason than an excuse.

oh yeah I'm with ChrisR on this one

Get at least 3 quotes (despite what others may say) - thats part of the game

Get recommended people if possible

You get what you pay for (sometimes - or maybe most of the time but not always !!)

I can totally sympaphise with you though - it took us ages to find someone, loads of no-shows, shows but never came up with a price etc etc etc ..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back