baxi boiler trouble

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there
I have a baxi solo wm boiler, it was working fine until around 15 months ago. We had to get an engineer to look at then. He cleaned it replaced the EOV and wd40'd the fan. Lovely all was well until yesterday.
It had stopped working so i had look, the pump is working the EOV is working but the pilot light isn't working and the fan isn't working which is mounted on top.
I sprayed the fan with wd40 and it started up, so did the pilot light and boiler, the flame though was mostly orange.Great! I left it running for around a hour and checked things out, the pilot light and boiler still on, the flame still orange but there was only a tiny bit of warm water from the kitchen sink and the rads were only slightly warm near the bottom. The pump was still working so was the EOV and so was the fan. Does any one know why that would happen? I turned the gas off and took off the cover of the boiler and had a look, i wd40'd the fan, took off the pilot light feed and blew it through, put it all back together and give it a go. The pump and fan started the pilot light a nice blue colour and the boiler started. Great, the water got hot, the rads got hot, i switched everything off and went off to bed. First thing this morning i switched it on too have a look, things were not working well again. The pilot light isn't working again so i took it apart again and did the same thing, blew through the pilot light feed again the fan was still working so i left that alone.
Put it all back together but still no joy?
I have noticed that if i open up some of the boiler housing the pilot light and flame starts. Does that mean the air did that?
When i seal the inner housing again the light goes out. i've looked for where the air intake would be but cant find anything obvious, Does anybody know where that might be?
Does the fan just remove the air through the flue or does it have a duel purpose?
Can anyone please help as i am a new dad and things are tight and am fairly handy with plumbing but if i have no choice then i will get an engineer, i would appreciate any advice given. Cheers all

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it could be cured with a service.Air flow problem. Not a good idea to put WD-40 on a fan. And although its working again now it will seize in the future so if you cant afford it then save up.

Thanks for the replies,Why isnt it a good idea 2 put wd40 on the fan?and what is fan venturi?

Sponsored Links
I forgot to mention that it was a British gas engineer who put wd40 on in the first place, i was copying what he did. Was he naughty then?

sounds to me as if the fan is shot, bit of lubrication probably has it running but not fast enough to make the air pressure switch. Check the red and black aps tubes though as they will almost certainly need replacing with another couple of silicon tubes.

are the tubes you refer to on the bottom of the boiler next to the regulator, if so the the engineer, it was in half. What do they do

the engineer replaced it i meant to say, sorry im jugling a baby as write

This all sounds highly dangerous even for you and now you say you have a young baby there!

You clearly are not competent to work on gas appliances.

I am disappointed that some CORGi registered people here have been encouraging you.

Before you kill yourself or your baby why not get a competent CORGI to sort it out properly and safely?

What dangerous activity has the op been encouraged to carry out Tony?, he has already done the work he stated in the original post. Stop getting precious with information which is in the public domain.

well said Ollski. Agile, the work i did was when i was alone. If i was competent i wouldnt be attempting any repair. I have a limited knowledge and just needed a nudge in a few directions.Cheers for your help, those who did. The black pipe has indeed perished.Gona replace it and see what happens

crewy said:
the engineer replaced it i meant to say, sorry im jugling a baby as write

I would have been more impressed if you said you were jugling three babies :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back