Baxi Boiler - Water gets hot then cold then hot.

If properly cleaned than a filter is not necessary!

A filter can be fitted without cleaning but needs to be emptied regularly particularly at first.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Are you certain its the plate blocked again ? Run a hot tap and check the heating flow pipe (left hand side). Diverter cartridge on these don't like dirt either.

Switch power off to boiler

Remove a radiator, take it outside and flush it with garden hose wack it a few times on the base rib to dislodge settled sediment and flush till water cleanish. Refit radiator but do not allow water to enter

Repeat same process until you have cleaned all radiators. Now pressurise and purge radiators. If you are up to it, instal mag filter

Doubt your system was flushed: emptied to instal new boiler, flushed unlikely (else you would not be clearing the plate HE so regularly. Wonder if the gas line is sized correctly:rolleyes:

It just keeps getting better. The wife just ran a bath and the boiler started dripping quite quickly. I traced the leak back to water coming out through the air vent on the top of the boiler.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Overheating does that sometimes (steam escaping from auto air vent). At other times sediment/ muck/ first in system causes the air vent not to close when air has self purged

Overheating does that sometimes (steam escaping from auto air vent). At other times sediment/ muck/ first in system causes the air vent not to close when air has self purged

Yeah. I suspect the latter. I turned off the system and, cold, it is still leaking. Stuck open I guess. Is this something I can take off and clean or does it need to be replaced?

(Actually I can't find a spare for sale online - there seem to be replacements about for the pump vent but not this one).

I would still look at the filter option, it not expensive, easy to install (if you removed the heat exchanger and cleaned it, you would do this a piece of p!ss) And its a lot easier to clean out the filter every now and then, instead of cleaning out the plate heat exchanger every 6 months. It would also reduce the chance of dirt effecting other componants eg pump, auto air vent ;)

Just to add to this, you could also put chemical cleaner into system as well as the filter to help remove the sludge/dirt. And then empty system and then refill and add inhibitor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back